Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got 2 1911's and the factory mags that came with them, i also have 1 wilson combat 10 round mag thats decent. I want to get some extras but read mixed reviews all over the map. Not looking for high end mags just some good extras that will work.
Any suggestions here....

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have several US made surplus military magazines that I bought new years ago for four bucks a pop that have been flawless with thousands of rounds through each of them. They look just like the factory Colt magazines that come with their government model but do not have Colt on them. I bought them at Trader's gun store in Oakland in the early 80's

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So colts should be good. I figure any factory mags will be good but im looking on the cheaper side.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I only buy Colt mags. Sure, you can get cheaper mags (and more expensive...), but I'd rather pay a bit more for dead-nuts reliability.

With my Defender as my EDC, I can't afford to save some money on unreliable mags. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
My Chip McCormick 10 rd. Work just fine in my RIA.
AND! They use "astronaut" wire for the spring./ Whatever that may be.
Ya tend to get what ya pay for so bear that in mind.

401 Posts
I have had very good luck with the Kimber 8 round mags. They are pretty reasonable in price or at least they were a couple of years ago. Why they do not supply these as standard equipment with their new pistols is beyond me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've bought a lot of Mec-Gar 1911 mags, they work great. Chip McCormick and Wilson Combat are great but expensive. If you search high and low on the 'net, you can get a good price on Mec-Gar. I prefer the extended mag pad type rather than flush-fit mags that can pinch in high stress situation AND not get seated properly unless you consciously press them to "click" with a finger. Avoid Kimber, I've had nothing but probs with theirs and I had probs with C-Products' 1911 mags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
mil surplus mags

Ditto for Colt mil surplus mags: my shooting pal happened into one of our favorite fun stores and discovered a row of helmet liners filled with 1911 magazines on the ammo counter. They were sale priced cheap so he bought a bag full - uncertain if it was a good deal, he brought them to me for an opinion. The mags were all blued steel and stamped COLT on the floor plates......I sent him back to get another bag full! These mags cycle flawlessly in several flavors of our 1911's.
If you see any, I'd recommend buying a supply.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Depending on your frame pay attention to the follower type as split followers of Chip McCormick will gouge the frame just below the feed ramp on aluminum framed models (non issue with steel framed 1911's). The last rnd of the mag moves the follower forward during feed and split pointed follower dings the frame.

I use Chip McCormick Power Mags or their Shooting Star type and Mec-gar mags.

I use Wolff +5% power mag spring replacements when the time comes for new mag springs.

Wilson, Colt, Kimber and Springfield models I use seem to work with the above.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Colt doesn't make magazines for 1911s,and may never have. The most commonly encountered Colt-branded mags are made by Checkmate and Metalform; I recommend Checkmates, and see I'm not the the first one here to do so. I use 7-rounders, with either GI or "hybrid" feed lips.

I see that the OP is looking to stay "on the cheap side;" I tried that too, and wish I had spent that money on some decent mags instead.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Not a good idea to buy cheap when it comes to magazines. Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" brand are 2 of the best out there. The Kimber mags are made by McCormick, or at least the Kimber "Pro" mags are.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I bought a pair of the Kimber "Kimpro" SS mags from Buds recently for $19 each and they have been flawless so far. The come with drop pads for the bottoms that you can either use or not use. I believe these are made by Chip McCormick but can't swear to it.

401 Posts
I bought a pair of the Kimber "Kimpro" SS mags from Buds recently for $19 each and they have been flawless so far. The come with drop pads for the bottoms that you can either use or not use. I believe these are made by Chip McCormick but can't swear to it.
Yes I have had the same results with the Kimpro Mags good mags:-D. It just blows my mind that Kimber does not include these in with there pistols. The mag I got with my Pro Carry II was good for two jams per mag; shoot 3 jam shoot 3 jam shoot 1 and mag empty.

401 Posts
Yes I have had the same results with the Kimpro Mags good mags:-D. It just blows my mind that Kimber does not include these in with there pistols. The mag I got with my Pro Carry II was good for two jams per mag; shoot 3 jam shoot 3 jam shoot 1 and mag empty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought spare mags from Top Gun. I got Check Mate,8rnd. for about $16,00 each.
I'm sold on Check Mate, they have worked flawlessly in my RIA .45 .

......................Jack

1 - 20 of 29 Posts