Perfect Union banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scottsdale Gun Club touts the LMT as very reliable, but it sells for $ 1249. Aim.com sells the Spikes Tactical for $ 770. I'd like to buy from a bricks and mortar dealer so I can get quick service on any issues, but the price difference is an issue.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
285 Posts
LMT will usually command a better price and probably have better resale value if you turn your gun inventory a lot. The LMT should be a very good gun. With that said, from everything I have heard Spikes makes a good product (I think they had some issues some time back but that seems to be resolved). I know I will sometimes opt to pay a little more for a gun if it is a from local dealer that provides good support and stands behind their products. It is up to you if the $500 difference between the rifles is worth it to you, and what do you intend to do with the rifle. Do the two rifles have the same features for that much price difference?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMT vs Spikes Tactical

There does not seem to be any features on the LMT to justify the price difference. Of course, there may be a qualitative difference. Nevertheless, to my non-technical mind, the Spikes description on aimsurplus.com is impressive.
I would list the technical features here but it takes up 3 printed pages.Aim sells out of the Spikes, and I'm on a waiting list
I am only going to use the weapon no more than twice @ mo., shooting about 100 rds ea time at up to 200 yds away. No hunting, no nighttime games. Just need a basic rifle.
Thx 4 the reply.

·
Registered
462 Posts
LMT makes some great products from the few that I've handled at gun shows, and from everything I've seen written about them on the web.

That being said, Spikes makes some great products too, and as you've mentioned, typically at a lower price. A couple years ago I bought a stipped lower from Spikes for a build. Well manufactured, clean lines, clean machining....very nice product overall. I added a LPK from Del-Ton and overall assembly went smoothly. A couple of roll pins were very tight and took some work to get installed. Not sure if it was the lower or the LPK. I've got a RRA 6.8 middy upper ridding on the assebled lower, but have been seriously contemplating a 5.56 Spikes upper as well. I know a few folks who have Spike's complete rifles and have been very happy with them. IMO, the Spike's is a good buy.

·
Registered
218 Posts
after the stunt spikes pulled when obama got elected it would be a cold day in a hot place before I purchased anything from them . they tripled the price on there lowers preying on the fear of what would happen .
lot makes a great rifle no doubt about it but its hard to pass up a colt 6920 right now they can be had for under a grand .
if I was on a tight budget I would seriously consider the palmetto state armory
patrol carbine , it comes equipped with an aim point pro and cost 1099.00 plus 15.00 shipping . It has a very impressive list of build features at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spikes vs LMT

Thx for the replies.
Spikes were not the only ones who took advantage of the Obama scare. Aim.com raised the price of Swiss K-31s to over $ 300. Now they are down to about $ 200. That's the market economy for you. Next time we should look at events with cooler heads and realize that it would very difficult from a political viewpoint to impose severe gun restrictions. There are enough blue dog Dems to prevent severe restrictions.

·
Registered
462 Posts
jwb47, like foxygi points out, it wasn't just Spikes that bumped (or doubled....but who's counting?) prices. Free market capitalism at work there. Obama's record of being anti-2A, coupled with exponential increase in demand vs. the average/diminishing supplies at the time....all translates to higher prices. When I ordered my LPK, the price was probably about $15 more than what they're going for now, but I also ended up waiting 6 weeks for it to be shipped.

I'll also agree with you on Palmetto State Armory. They've got a great reputation (and I believe are also a sponsor) over at 68forums, and I've not seen anything bad about them. They've got a great customer service record over there too. Another solid option.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PSA 20"Stag

Thx. I went to their website yesterday. I notice they offer a 20" Stag for $ 939. Is the 4" extra worth it in terms of accuracy?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts