Perfect Union banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Curios to how many of you with a great mini 30 have the new tact model?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
what do you classify as great?

mine is Minute of golf ball if i do my part or thereabouts at 100yds
it's minute of tennis ball if I'm not "in the zone"

it's a stainless 581 Ranch with a few mods.
yeah.. that sounds good to me. I just read so many of these good mini threads, yet dont get the model.. so i just wonder what model 30 everyone has.

Ive recently purchased a mini 30 tactical, and not have much of a chance with it yet. I was hoping to go to the range first thing in the morning but it looks like those horrid storms are going to be here tomorrow.. Ive done some polishing of the action and a wilson buffer and was looking forward to it..but..
I want to make a thread were I post my results step by step and results after each. A mini 30 tact journal if you will.

But yeah.. i see "Ilove my min!!" and I wonder, "well, what one is it??" Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
personally I think the 16" barreled minis look pretty boss,

but honestly IMHO, for serious work - intermediate calibers like x39 and 5.56 need all the velocity they can eek out to do the job... weather the target be man or beast.

if it costs a 1/2" of accuracy to get a little more on target effect - so be it :) (the short barreled minis are best known to be more accurate out of the box than their 18" barreled brethren - it's a harmonics thing.)

I've thought about having my 14's barrel cut down, but I just don't want to lose the FPS...

either way,

unless you get one used that was horribly abused (caveat empetor), or a new lemon out of the box (which Ruger WILL make right) I see no reason someone wouldn't be happy with their mini.

If it shoots minute of bad guy or minute of coyote/deer. its fine

there was someone recently claiming consistent hits on basketball sized targets with a mini30 out of the box over Irons at 300 yards. that is phenomenally good for a mini - and a damn good marksman to boot (the mini's sights are pretty chunky... at 100 they pretty much cover the target)

Mine will do a cold bore, first shot, off hand into a 14"x14" steel plate at 200 pretty easy... but I'm using 9x glass, I hold at the top edge of the plate and center punch it every time.

·
Registered
238 Posts
use good ammo- sellier bellot - winchester-and such
use only -ruger mags period if you think you need a thirty round mag well. a 20 is good
clean your gun
dont put a $40.00 scope on it and go on a forum and say the gun s---s
oh steel cased doesnt just have harder primers or just deeper primerd they are barden primed a diferent type, actually a usa product back before ww1and they are hard for a reason and we stoped useing it for a reason
read our owners manual
dont shoot 20 rounds in 20 sec and say the groups open up eny rifle will
i could go on about some of the things these simpleminded people have written but its time for me to fly
This should be a sticky about proper use of Mini 30s! Finally someone figures it out.

Congrats on the new rifle. :) I was more impressed with my new model Mini 14 than I thought I would be. Accuracy wise it keeps up with Ar15s in the $600-$1000 price range. You are also correct about the way BS information spreads in forums. Funny isn't it?

·
Banned
412 Posts
mini 30 tactical rocks just got mine last month ordered 15 20 round mags and 3 5 rounders and 2000 rounds of brass case boxer primed to keep it happy and runnin smooth (i did 40 + hours reading on it reviews pros and joes alike me before deciding) i got a mod rod commin dont know if i need it or not im sure it will definatly help with heat as far as groups this is my first mini a 581 series came from factory jan 17 (i got to pick between 3 serial #s Anyway i put 400 rounds cheap brass stuff through it at 150 yards (irons) and keepin them in a soft ball size circle thats pretty much right straight untill i had to fill some of the mags back up. first 50 75 rounds had a few failures to cycle then she ran like a brick ****house. ive read they need breakin in and i intend to do so as soon as snow lets up as well as the cold weather. to heck with the ars (except rugers) lol JK i love this mini

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
i went out today after the storms passed and shot my 30 tactical.. so fun. Nice groups at 50 and 100 yards. No problems with the golden bear.

I had to smirk a little when the guy with the AR and fancy red dot almost got kicked off because his rounds kept going into the ground on the 50 yard range.. I know i know.. he had issues but it still made me think "moa gun eh?" It was all tricked out.. multi color magpul all over it.. Here I am with all factory but a wilson buffer, not even bedded the stock yet (comes in tuesday), and I'm on the bulls. This guy has sunk some cash and.. yeah.. well..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts