Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 CDS for my Mini 30 and I was hoping for a little advice before I call in the specifications for my custom 7.62x39 dial. They ask for a little info so ill be giving them the specifics for prvi partizan PPU FMJ 123 gr. They have a ballistic coefficient of .271 and a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps. The only problem I'm having is my barrel is 16 inches so I would estimate muzzle velocity closer to 2250. So basically do you think that would be a close on guess or am I way off target? Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
1) Borrow a chronograph, and get the actual velocity. The average of 10 rounds would be better.
2) Using the same hold/aim point, shoot a 5 round group at several ranges IE 50yd, 100yd, 150yd, 200yd minimum) and measure where the center of each group is VS the aiming point.
Send them the information gathered above, and let them do their thing.

My only question would be this, why? It's a sub-300yd cartridge, and should +/- 3" out to 275 or so yards

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a Mini-30 that I hunted deer and hogs with. It shot a 5" group at 200 yards.
It was a great rifle. The 7.62 x 39 is a bit of a stretch past 200 yards. It drops pretty fast after 200 yards. Sight it in for a POA/POI at 100 yards and be happy. You will hit what you want out to 200 easy that way. The Mini-30 is a great hog gun. I've killed many with ballistic tip in my Mini-30

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I know you can find calibers with much better ballistics, but I wanted a 3-9 on my mini and got a great deal on the leupold. I match scopes to my rifle and never swap them out. Leupold gives one free custom dial with every scope that has the cds feature, so I figure why not try it out? My next step is finding a chronograph. Might just buy one. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.