Perfect Union banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
On the "cleaning rod for removal of stuck cases" thing, if you have a fixed stock AR or an M1A/M14, just keep an issue cleaning kit in the butt trap. If you're into ComBloc iron, SKS's and AK's have single piece rods under the bbl.

Best,
Grumpy

·
Banned
5,882 Posts
During WWII the Japanese Type 11 Nambu LMG incorporated an automatic oilier. These weapons oiled each round as it entered the chamber. When firing the Type 11 you have a small glass indicator to warn you when the oil was is getting low.
When the Japs got to the sandy beaches in the South Pacific the oil and sand mixed and shut the guns down. The Type 11 entered into guns of the past. Oil and guns don't always work well.

·
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
101 Posts
Every weapon systems has its weaknesses. Some have problems associated with tropical climates. Others have problems with desert conditions. Still other have problems with cold, winter conditions. There is no such thing as a perfect weapon. American military people have been adapting and overcoming problems ever since they were first formed into military units to fight the French and Indians or the British in the Revolutionary War.

We have also learned to develop new tactics around our weapon systems as time passed and as we learned more about what and what our new weapons could not do for us. We learned that with some weapons a well placed single shot to the chest was effective. In other cases we learned that close range multiple hits worked well for some weapons when delivered to precise places on the human body (shot placement). Other weapons were designated as being area weapons in that they could effectively cover a large area with their shooting or explosive abilities.

We learned that some rifles would freeze shut, because of exposed bolts, in extreme cold weather conditions. To offset that problem we learned to rack the bolts every so often, store the weapons in a warm area or, on occasion, use body heat (sleep with the rifle against a warm body or urinate on the rifle) to get the bolt to function. But the key is that we learned what and how to overcome problems. That's what smart men do. They identify problems, plan ahead of problems and they overcome problems.

·
Honor our Constitution !
4,725 Posts
:lol:Gee thanks crocket-for bringing me back to reality-Not!I was "soldiering" back when it was a m16a1,and doing beach ops in the sand,and the mud and training army combat engineers about the finer points of living after a beach landing.It is not my fault that the army does'nt keep salt water on its many inland posts.I also know it is hard to break from old habits drilled into your head by drill seargeants that believe the only way is the army way.Study a little firearms history sometime and get a better perspective about what I said about the use of water,piss,or oil as a firearms coolant-then you can make a qualified statement!Btw-I also have done gunsmithing for over 40+ years now,and done some very unconventional "things"with gunz-no matter if you call them weapons,pieces,shooters,darling,or your joy stick-it's all just semantics-and does'nt accomplish anything!:rolleyes:
so it was YOU that showed the film of the 16a1 bolting the grunt thru the eyesocket because he didn't "T-handle drain it" after submersion !!

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
so it was YOU that showed the film of the 16a1 bolting the grunt thru the eyesocket because he didn't "T-handle drain it" after submersion !!
:lol:Aw dammit-ya caught me!:rolleyes:;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
A canteen or two?! Good Heavens, a canteen lasted MAYBE an hour if you were sitting in the shade! Two were good for two hours! The newbie carried two, the guys that had been there more than three days carried all they could find! The sand was like talcum powder, it got into EVERYTHING! There was no way to keep it out! OK, some guys carried the M-9 wrapped in a plastic bag (the ONLY way to keep it from jamming for the first mag) but once they fired it and the bag was toast, so was the pistol the next time you needed it. The 1911 worked fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
if the AR jammed every other shot, it would still fire 10 rds faster than a bolt action. Full auto fire is just a waste of ammo. It burns off the lube and fouls the gun, to zero gain tactically. They claim it suppressed the enemy. Know what suppresses them MORE? Being dead, from accurate semi-auto fire.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.