Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first one is homemade, and built out 2 tanks - a 250 gallon butane tank, and a 150 gallon air tank. The main cooking surface is 6 feet 9 inches long and 29 inches across.

This one, I found it on the side of the road. My wife and I spotted it on the way to work one day. 2 days later it was still there, so I decided to pick it up. After we got it home, I noticed there was cord tied around the leg like it had been on a trailer. Its a little banged up, but still works just fine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just have a cheap chargriller too, it's a POS, but it got me started smoking. I'm going to start looking for a better one this summer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice rig, Kevin! That's EXACTLY the pit I need!

I do EVERYTHING on a 22" Weber. I have cooked everything from pizza to turkey on it, and I use it a lot. I need a good sidebox smoker, But I can never quite line up the money when the smokers are on sale. Don't knock the "cheap" Char Grillers; you can do a lot of good work with them.

I have a good gas grill, but I tend to use it like an outdoor oven rather than a grill. It's great for "planking" fish, and I have used it for finishing ribs and shoulders. If I'm going to cook a steak, it's gonna be done over mesquite, period.

Every now and then we'll throw a party and try to feed everybody we know. It's not unusual to have the house oven, the big Weber, the Smokey Joe and the gas grill going all at once, along with two or three Dutch ovens in the firepit.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
those smokers with the side mounted burner do great at low and slow.
I have a Warm Morning (yes the oil stove company made grills too) with cast aluminum construction about 1/4" or a bit more thick. I use the ceramic 'briquette' shaped rocks in it. grease fires are cut way down with these rocks. it's fairly large - I'm not going outside to measure but around 2' wide with a good sized side burner, not a small one.
I've had it for years, a home I cleaned up (a rental that was damaged by storm a tree came down atop it) and repaired it was left there when the renter packed up quickly and left after the storm.
I've replaced the 'H' shaped burner 2x and had to make a new grate to hold the ceramics. otherwise good as new.
I can crank it up quickly - toss dry hardwood kindling atop the ceramic for high heat - or go down low and put soaked chips atop to 'smoke' with.
the purists say 'no gas - just charcoal/wood' I know but I like the convenience and it does great with wood chips atop. great for chicken or chops/steaks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I've got a Brinkmann smoker with the firebox on the side (looks a lot like Benton Quest's). I use it mainly for smoking brisket and chicken, but it is great for grilling a large amount for a party. For everyday grilling, I use a gas grill. I like the flavor of charcoal/wood more, but don't always have the time to get coals ready.

·
01FFL
40 Posts
This is the best one I could find on my Budget.

I'd like to find one with the firebox below and to the rear of the cooking area.
Saw one like that once, it was probably homemade.
Damn, I need a welder and a cutting torch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL! Kind of like an NFL Linebacker calling for an exhibition game, and only Pop Warner Kids show up to play. I congratulate all of my Pop Warner brethren on showing up. Good Gracious how the world has changed since the economic collapse. It's not 2007 anymore is it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My wife wants a wood fired pizza oven for the patio.... guess the investment is well worth the fact I will be getting totally home made pizza

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are Smokers, and lots of folks have them, but then there is a Smokehaus, and almost nobody runs those anymore. Maybe you could talk her into a dual setup if you're going to go permanent and brick. You can't get more authentic than a Smokehaus.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I only have a tabletop grill. This year is different though. I got a SS nicer one in infrared. They made a great product but it wouldn't stay lit. I decided to keep it and now it stays lit. ITS HOT REAL HOT. Then I rigged in a reg burner to cook at less than sun temperatures :lol:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
This is the best one I could find on my Budget.

I'd like to find one with the firebox below and to the rear of the cooking area.
Saw one like that once, it was probably homemade.
Damn, I need a welder and a cutting torch.
those are good, but allow plenty of time for cooking. a buddy has one he roast/smokes whole turkeys in, he uses a cheapo aluminum pan to hold the bird and bastes it with the juice in the pan once it gets to really sizzling. much better than oven baked turkey. I would likely choose it over cajun fryed which also is good

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
My wife wants a wood fired pizza oven for the patio.... guess the investment is well worth the fact I will be getting totally home made pizza
Oh man...I'd love to have one. I enjoy seeing what Jamie Oliver and Guy Fieri cook in their's. And there's just something about burning wood, that really makes food taste good.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I totally forgot about this until I read your post but I remember an old client of mine having a dual sided wood burning pizza oven. One side faced the kitchen. The other was accessible from the patio. It was a bitchen idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
thats pretty interesting. Did you get the lid? Have you used it with coal?
No lid. So far I've only used propane. I think using coal may produce different/better results as the coals can be palced closer to the grill.

There's a guy over on survivalistboards that even uses his as a fire pit.

There are videos of people using a dutchoven in it too.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
there is a TV show on public TV of a fella 'steve' that uses nothing but Weber grills.
'BBQ USA' I think is name of the show. he turns out some fine looking grub on those things.
of course Weber is makeing a generous contribution to the pbs.
I'll stick with my 'warm morning'
I'm about due to Q some turkey

1 - 20 of 23 Posts