Perfect Union banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
mitch308 said:
I own anRussin SKS 1950's vintage. Have replaced the 10 rounder with the non detatchable 20 rounder. Function is flawless, no trouble with LE types @ my range. Go for it. (of course I reside in Texas where a few freedoms remain intact.)
Mitch308, keep in mind that the vast majority of restrictive laws regarding the SKS are at a federal level, and have nothing to do with state laws or freedoms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been that route with a 30 rounder. I bought a chinese sks that had the original mag replaced with a 30 rounder. I got rid of it along time ago, replaced it with a 10 rounder and now its fine. The sks was designed with a 10 round fixed mag to be loaded with stripper clips. Its fast, reliable, and no mag to tinker with. The 30 round mags are a PITA in my opinion. I like to stick with the original design.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Legal issues aside, most 30 round SKS magazines don't work well. I tried the Pro Mag 30 rounder and it didn't fit into the SKS and would have required tweaking to make it fit and function. I took it back and replaced the 10 rounder magazine which came with the rifle. This is the only Pro Mag magazine which I didn't like, the other (non SKS mags) ones work flawlessly for me. I talked to other SKS owners who had the similar experiences with 30 round magazines.

I can be sure the fixed magazine works and can load it with stripper clips as fast as a magazine change.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Is that the plastic Promag? The only person I've heard of using them, the "duckbill" on his broke off.

Tapco's got a 20 rounder and a 10 rounder coming out soon. Both are also plastic:( Guess I'll stick with the standard mag. Why do people think it's agood idea to make mags out of plastic? The spend all the time and money to make a mag for a rifle, and the yoou get a hunk of plastic.

That's what happened to my Saiga .308. Someone decided to make a 20 rounder for it, made it out of plastic, and decided to charge $40 a pop for them. Needless to say, I got rid of the Saiga.

If you're reading this and looking to manufacture firearm magazines DON'T MAKE THEM OUT OF PLASTIC!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you take a look on Tapco's web site you'll see the parts you need to make the gun 921 compliant. When I bought mine the dealer had removed the GL and bayonet and replaced the muzzle brake. I didn't know it but the gun was clearly illegal. I wound up getting a Tapco stock and 5 and 20 rnd mags along with the gas rod, operating rod and muzzle brake. I had to go with the detatchable mags to comply (3 points). BTW, I shot about 150 rounds today for the first time, all but 20 of them 5 at a time. The gun functioned just about flawlessly with only a couple of first round feed problems (2 mags, 3 types of ammo). It wasn't enough to even investigate further because once the first round was chambered the thing ran like a clock. The Tapco stuff is Good. I've got a nice little deer/pig rifle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmmm

first of all id like to say ur all missing the laws on this,,,the sks isnt an assault rifle,,,sum try to say it is only cause of the rounds it can hold from 1 to 75 rounds..still dosnt make it and assault rifle,,,the definition of an assault rifle it one that shoots multiple rounds with one pull of the trigger,,as of right now there isnt a law for the size of mags u use for your sks or ak...they have found a way around it all by adding what we call a bumpfire stock to make it a fully auto,,,but it still doesnt break any laws cause its still one pull for each shot...plz people do ur homework before posting cause ur just confusing others that really what to learn sumthing...most if all i read on this post sounds like a bunch of opinions,,,lets use the facts to help sumone thx for listening :)

·
Operation:Mindcrime
3,036 Posts
Why are you responding to a 7-8yr old thread?????????:rolleyes:

21 - 27 of 27 Posts