Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What accessories can I add to my mini-14 ranch and still be legal? I saw a Choate folding stock at the gun show last weekend that I really liked, also I would like to install a Flashhider as well. I just need to know what accessories can be used together and still be legal. Thanks Ken:usa:

No Longer Involved
Since your rifle is probably not a grandfathered preban (it would have to be manufactured prior to the cutoff AND be in a "assault weapon" configuration at the time of the ban), then you can't do much.

The feds allow for 2 evil features. California (my home) allows one, and the list is different! Know your laws!

Here are the links to the feds:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/

Search there and you will eventually find:

http://www.atf.treas.gov/pub/fire-explo_pu...ub/complete.htm

And the specific text covering your rifle is:

(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of --

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,
(3) A bayonet mount,
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and
(5) A grenade launcher;

Given the above, you have a dilemma. Almost ALL folding stocks include a pistol grip. That means that the folder itself is almost always sufficient to turn a rifle into a "assault weapon" as defined by the law. If you had a folder with no pistol grip (or vice versa), then the flash suppresor pushes it over the edge. So basically, on a post-ban Mini, you can add a pistol grip stock (no folder) OR a flash suppressor, but not both.

Pain in the neck, eh?

G

In this same line;I want to provide one of my kids in Kalifornia with a mini-14 for Christmas. I understand from the previous posts that only one "appearance" item is allowed there as legal. But if I purchase the mini here (in AZ) and then give it to him;will he be in violation of fed or State laws when he takes it home to Kalifornia? Thanks for your help.

No Longer Involved
Federal law prohibits the transfer of a firearm to an out-of-state resident, unless it is done via FFL and according to the laws of both states. That's a summary, but close enough.

A stock Mini-14 is legal. But if it is modified, that's another story all together.

Bad, stupid laws.

Hey, anyone have a job for me in another state? I want out of California!!!

No Longer Involved
THAT depends on the state. Federal laws allow for person-to-person transfer, last I knew. In CA, all transfers go through an FFL and a waiting period

:mad:

No Longer Involved
California did bring us Nixon and Reagan, so don't be quite so tough on us (grin).

:confused:

G

LOL !
Bill;Dutch Reagan was from Iowa He used to live in my neighborhood in Des Moines.
Please excuse the divergent remark :^)

G

LOL !
Bill;Dutch Reagan was from Iowa He used to live in my neighborhood in Des Moines.
Please excuse the divergent remark :^)

No Longer Involved
Sure, and Nixon was a transplant as well. California is a state of transplants.

Both were CA politicians, however!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts