Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used mini 14 ranch rifle (195 series, stainless steel). I shot 20 rounds when I got home and then noticed some black residue coming from the gas block on the barrel. Is this typical and as simple as bolts that need tightening or a sign of something else?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No, it isn't typical, and yes, it may be something as simple as tightening the bolts. Do a search on this forum to find how many inch-pounds are required. You don't want to over or under tighten. Also make sure the gaps are even on both sides, or as close as possible. I'd take it off, inspect the barrel and block, and clean the residue, and re-assemble to specs. Unless there is an issue with the matting surfaces that ought to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I tightened the four bolts to what I would consider 1/4 -1/2 past hand tight. My 20 round mag from CTD came in the mail today and I had 22 rounds left of .223 so I blasted what I had left. No residue coming from the gas black this time. I over paid for the mag, but I got such a good deal on the rifle I had some room in my shooting budget. Now if I could just get my hands on more ammo!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts