Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm personally not a fan of hanging anything from the barrel. A strut is one thing, but hanging a flashlight or laser out there wouldn't be my preferred method of mounting.

You might also check out Lee Hadaway's Tactical Flashlight Mount (about halfway down this page) at The Arms Room. Granted, it's designed specifically for a flashlight, but since he makes them, I don't see why he couldn't make you a Picatinny rail that mounts the same way...

As for the light vs. laser question -- what are you wanting to do with it? To me, a light will allow you to sight your weapon with just the iron sights, but also has the added advantage of allowing quick target ID, whereas a laser will only show you (and your target...) where your round will be going.

Sure, a flashlight will give away your position, but wouldn't you rather be sure of what (or who?) you're about to shoot? Besides, if you're using a weapon-mounted light properly, you're using quick bursts of light to get your bearings (and ID your target), not leaving it on constantly...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Both light and lazer will give away your position, wether it's a red or green lazer the green work better in daylight, they don't get washed out by bright sunlight like red ones do. I would go for light that way you can ID what your shooting at during low or no light situations. the only thing I put on a barrel is an Accu-Strut.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Personally I don't like weapon mounted lights, they are an added distraction and could potentially lower your response time in distress. Of course that depends on how easily they are operated, and your set up. Yes it is a plus to be able to identify your target, but as others have stated, it also gives your position away. I would go with a light on your handgun, and keep your rifle bare.

How often do you think you would use your light? I remember the author of surviving an economic collapse in Argentina stressed the value of tactical flashlights, especially weapon mounted ones. If there were a prolonged power outage, or if it were a SHTF scenario I could see the advantages of having lights on all of your weapons. It would be a drag to have to carry a flashlight and your weapon separately, and at least having the option would be convenient.

If you get either a light or laser (or a combo unit) make sure it is something that is easy to operate. I know many of them have far to many settings and they cycle through strobe, low light, high light, only light, only laser, etc. I would go with something simple, easy to use, and one that is easy to dismount (quick detach, without tools). Also, they can be very pricey, make sure it is something that will get good use (can be used on several different weapons, your rifle or pistol) or one that you can use as a conventional flashlight too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts