Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Mini (mid 1990's) and want another. I am a bit confused about bbl profiles. I thought Ruger took the line down and retooled with the 580 series. I have heard others talking about the latest tapered barrels. How do I tell if it has the latest barrel profile?

I would love to find the stainless/synthetic/tactical (16?15" bbl with flashier in stainless) which Ruger lists as a LE gun. Any idea if this gun has the newest barrel?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mini-14 Tactical

I bought mine over the counter with nary a whisper about LE only.
16 1/8 " new profile (thicker) barrel and a synthetic stock with flash hider.
Shoots like a dream even with my aging eyes.
Word of advice: Go with the Ruger factory mags. A couple of extra bucks for flawless performance is worth the cost.
You won't be sorry.
Richard

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I have an older Mini (mid 1990's) and want another. I am a bit confused about bbl profiles. I thought Ruger took the line down and retooled with the 580 series. I have heard others talking about the latest tapered barrels. How do I tell if it has the latest barrel profile?

I would love to find the stainless/synthetic/tactical (16?15" bbl with flashier in stainless) which Ruger lists as a LE gun. Any idea if this gun has the newest barrel?
Anything you buy new will have the tapered barrel. In the used market, any rifle from the late 580s on will have a tapered barrel. You can tell just by looking -- at the gas block, the barrel is larger, then tapers noticeably for an inch or so.

Tapered

vs.

Pencil

EDIT: And, as for the "LE Only" rifles, that's just proof that Ruger is owned/run by lawyers. :lol: They list that rifle in their LE/MIL catalog, but there's nothing "LE/MIL" about it, it's the same thing as my All-Weather Ranch Rifle, just cut/crowned/threaded with a flash hider installed.

·
American realist
316 Posts
when i was looking for a tactical, i only saw 2 stainless ones for sale & they were proud of them. asking prices were pretty close to the m.s.r.p. listed on rugers site, so be prepared.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I own one of the Model 5819's. When I purchased mine from a LE Distributor (I am LE), I asked them why they were required to obtain copies of my credentials, since the rifle was essentially the same gun as the blued Tactical. I was advised that in order for them to retain their Ruger Law Enforcement dealer status, they had to be able to prove that each weapon was sold to a member of law enforcement, upon audit by Ruger.

I don't understand the reasoning behind why they won't sell it in the retail arena, because it is probably the perfect "do it all sport utility rifle", at least in my mind. I will admit that they are quite pricey, but it was money well spent.

I have stumbled upon one or two, on the used market. They obviously were purchased by law enforcement officers, who ended up selling or trading them off on the latest, greatest super tactical AR15. The used ones that I've encountered were priced much higher than what I paid for mine new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.