Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had much time to myself these days so I've taken to staying up late tinkering with my Mosin Nagant M91/30.

When I had taken it to the range last time I was having trouble with rounds not feeding up from the mag into the breech, well after trying everything I realized that I had compressed the sides of the mag while reinstalling it the last time I worked on it, boy, it didn't take much to throw the mag housing off let me tell ya.

I converted it back to its original furniture and only added a scope (my eyes are not what they once were).

I have another that was put together using "forced matched" parts, that one I am installing into the black ABS Monte Carlo stock complete with scope mount, new rings and a 7 power scope, bi-pod and sling, the more modern version has the barrel cut down, re-crowned and a blade sight added to the business end.

I'll try and make some time next month to get her to the range and see how she does.

The trouble with late night tinkering is not using noisy power tools ...LOL!:eek:

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Sometimes I get working on something and I just don't stop. Not really one for getting up in the middle of the night to work on something. More like I am up at midnight working on something because I didn't stop the night before. Its all good. I have been working on my Rolling Block when I can in 45 Colt. Fun project.

Last night the dog woke me up at 2 AM. He had to pee. Only the bottom had dropped out of the sky and it was raining really hard. Just as I opened the door lighting hit and the thunder was right on top of it. And then the puppy had to go. Outside with boxers on and an umbrella and the cold water is running off, cold, going down my back. And the storm is right on top of us. Grrrr. After that, I'll take a night project anytime.

· Registered
832 Posts
Hey,4:30,

That's why I trained my doggie to pee on command when she was about a year old. She pees on MY schedule,not hers. She's pretty smart and when she figured out that she could manipulate me with the whining to go outside at any hour of the night,I knew I had to out smart her. Now we have a bedtime ritual just like a little kid. Pee,reward (some kind of munchy from Bass Pro Shops) and a drink out of the toilet. Then it's night night time,no ifs ands or buts. Works every time!

I kid you not,the dog just came to the doorway of our bedroom and gave me the "I need something" whine. I told her "you show Daddy what you want" and she headed for the cupboard where her treats are. She really knows how to work the system around here,I tell ya'. I told her to pee first and she ran to the patio door,did her thing,and ran back to the cupboard for her reward. I've created a monster!

Late night tinkering story? Not so much,but a good dog story. Y'all know what I say about dogs.

· Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fishslayer, that's a GREAT story, as I was reading it I had to check that it wasn't one of my post.

We have the same exact system here, the "last walk of the night for peeing", the reward after and then off to bed, just like a kid.

Now that is just freaky that we have trained our dogs in the same manner, and if she does the "monkey whine" I ask her what she wants and she will bring me too it, usually a toy that fell behind the sofa or a treat she has accidently pushed under a piece of furniture ...Too funny !!!

I have a Jack Russell Terrorist but she is well trained, never barks unless there is something worth raising the alarm about, when she barks and I am at the other end of the house she is just telling me someone is at the door (I really need to fix our door bell), or she will bark to alert me that the bear is in the yard or on the deck, she's one of the smartest breeds that I have had the joy to train.

· Registered
832 Posts
Jess,
Don't tell the mods,but this thread is morphing into one about dogs!!
I had to laugh at your post. You hit the nail on the head describing your dog's whine as the monkey whine! My dog sounds like Cheetah talking to Tarzan. LMAO!

My wife gets pissed at me for talking to our dogs so much. I just remind her that dogs speak to us if we're smart enough to listen.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
My new puppy, well is a puppy, his bladder is small. So he does what a puppy does. Pee all the time. So I will let him out at night. He already knows what potty means and heads for the back door on his own the majority of the time.

The older dog knows the words "Last call". Its his last time to pee for the night. So when I say it he runs for the door. He rarely gets anyone up at night to go. So when he wakes me, I know it has to be urgent, so I let him. Yellow labs, both of them.

· Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jess,
Don't tell the mods,but this thread is morphing into one about dogs!!
I had to laugh at your post. You hit the nail on the head describing your dog's whine as the monkey whine! My dog sounds like Cheetah talking to Tarzan. LMAO!

My wife gets pissed at me for talking to our dogs so much. I just remind her that dogs speak to us if we're smart enough to listen.
Well I don't see a "Dogs thread" so I don't think we will get into any trouble !:lol:

If we don't talk to them then they will never learn to understand what we want from them.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Dogs are what get us up at night so that we work on our midnight projects.

When I speak the dog (older one) will stop breathing so he doesn't miss a word of it. He also has bionic ears. I asked the puppy quietly in the kitchen if he wanted a treat, the other dog came running from upstairs immediately.

· Registered
7,312 Posts
Sometimes I will whisper a command in his ear. Like "go get your leash" and off he goes. He brings it and hands it to me. Also "pick that up" and point and he will pick your shoe off the floor and put it in your hand. Saves bending over. Of course the usual stuff like "go for a ride" or "swim in the pool" or "go for a walk". He knows everyone's name. You say go get "...." and he always goes to the right person.

· Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Security pups!

Mr Redhorse, you have had bears wake you up at night, how about your dog(s)? Sometimes when I wake up I can't get back to sleep and therefore work on things until I get tired again.
My Dog will wake me up when the bears are around the house, but not by barking, she will jump on the bed so I'll know that something needs to be checked out.;)

One time she woke me in this fashion and it had nothing to do with wildlife, she could hear water gushing, knew it wasn't normal and when I investigated I discovered that the damned hot water tank had let go, thank God she does this because the house would have been flooded by morning. :eek:

She has a great sense of what is normal in her environment and what is not, she's one of the best dogs I've ever had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.