Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a l1a1 parts kit in some stuff given to me, I believe it is Australian due to the information. I read in other posts, the finish on the barrel and the trigger assembly shows some wear.but overall are in good shape. The inside of the barrel looks very clean. I ordered a L1A1 receiver that should be arriving in the next week.
How difficult is it to assemble the gun and get it working? Will i need special tools? I was told that it can be easily done but have been unable to find a good tutorial.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
The most critical part of assembly (its mostly together already) is installing the barrel on the receiver. The barrel must be properly timed, and then the headspace must be checked once the locking shoulder is in place. This must be done by someone that REALLY knows what they are doing.

Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems has the best video (from what I have read...dont own it personally) on FAL gunsmithing.
Arizona Response Systems, LLC. Store. Misc.

Also depends on whether the receiver comes with the ejector block already installed. I dont see the gas tube but its probably under the handguards attached to the gas block.

It looks like you might be missing the frame pin that holds the lower and upper receivers together.
FAL Pivot Pin (Joint Pin) - Ernst Armory Online Store

Check these out for an overview of the entire process. Includes info on tools needed.

Building the FAL at Home, Background

Here is a set of informative videos on assembly and disassembly of an FAL (very similar, L1A1 has no bolt hold open to my knowledge). You can see how to attach the mag release and the charging handle.

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Look at the lower by the safety selector .. what are the marks? A serial number beginning "ADxxxxx" means Australian Defence and hence yes Aussie

A "U" serial number means UK, the second letter the manufacturer (B=BSA, E=Enfield)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a UB61 then about an inch below there is a A11XXXX number so is that a UK BSA 1961? Also I found a local that is knowledgeable and has the tools aswell but has only worked on metric fals.
on the bolt hold open there is a hole in the pin but no crosspin, is it missing or did it not have one?
Re their any non wood aftermarket pistol grips for l1a1?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes Made in UK, BSA, 1961.

About the BHO...see this thread at the FAL files. Very informative.
L1A1 Bolt Hold Open - The FAL Files

From an assembly standpoint, inch and metric are very similar. If he can install a locking shoulder on a metric FAL and check the headspacing, he should be able to do it on an inch rifle.

Century has some made in US grips, but I like the surplus pebble grain grips that Apex sells better. I have some grips and stocks from Century I can sell you if you dont want to order from them (they charge you about $25 handling fee).

I just took the old thumbhole stock off my L1A1 and replaced it so I have a tiny bit of experience with that aspect of it.

Where'd you find the receiver?

Cheers

Jim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found one on gun broker, I might be interested in the grips ill send you a pm about them.

** Thanks for the info on the BHO I was able to get the pin from a hardware store today just need to buy my first magazines to make sure i have pin at the correct length

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.