Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good bud wants me to redo his cutdown Krag into a constabulary/school rifle. While he’s a pretty good self taught gunsmith he’s not a stocker so he gave it to me at our last cas shoot and said ‘do whatever you want but don’t spend much money’. Got the lower swivel that bubba built removed, hole refilled and a correct Krag swivel inlet. Have a forend extension made and am just about ready to epoxy it on. I extended the lightening cut on the stock and cut one into my extension for a piece of 1/2x1/2 inch aluminum bar to reenforce the joint. Also recut the sanded out grasping grooves. I love my HF mini mill. Installed a lighter firing pin spring to make it easier to operate. Been playing with matching up the stock finish using Birchwood Casey red walnut and diluted light brown leather dye. I’m pleased how good it looks, true oil soon. Next will be the handguard. Here’s a before and a current pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Nice!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Got it done. I think he liked it and is planning to use it next month at our cas club’s BAM shoot. Here it is next to my as I bought it school rifle. The long handguard on his rifle was made from a walnut M1a handguard and mauser clips. I recut his grasping grooves too as they were sanded out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts