Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a case of Korean mil surp 30-06 ammo from Natchez $89.00, but shipping was like $20+.
I'm more than a little dissapointed. The picture showed it in a nice cardboard box but when I opend the can (with korean symbols and "30 M2" painted on it) it was pre-loaded on Garand clips and in cotton bandeleros. Great, right?
Wrong - the ammo is well worn and it looks like some moisture got into it. There are some serious dings and one case was actualy pierced! I went through about a dozen clips and pulled about 10 rounds that were un-usable so that's about a 10% dud rate.

I "de-milled" the bad ones and those that had corrosion on the outside had corrosion on the inside as well - with serious oxidation at the bullet base. With the pierced case the powder wouldn't even pour out.
So, all the rounds will have to be pulled out of the clips and inspected, and am now somewhat hesitant to put the "good ones" though my Garand.
Any one else had experience with this ammo?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just bought some 20 round boxes. Of course after I bought them I was told the boxes are corrosive and the stuff in the bandoleers are not. So now I think either way you look at it you're better off reloading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On the jouster forum they have been saying that the Korean KA-xyz rounds are
corrosive while the PS-xyz are not. Have not heard much about splits with the
Korean PS lots lately, but the concensus has been problems with lot Lot# 2-156,
headstamp PS 75.

The Korean KA stuff requires windex!

On a side note, there are also mixed reviews about the Greek ammo!

Pat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bought 400 rds of PS 75 (2-184) from Sportsmans Guide. Ammo was boxed, not clipped. Of the 400 rds, I'd say 60 or so showed a high level of black discoloration at the base. In some cases, the corrosion extended about 1" up from the rim.

I did some manual cleaning (NVR DULL), and fired the once-discolored rds through my 1917 with no negative affect. Primers worked fine. As this was the first time I shot the 1917 (family gun), I don't have a basis of comparison for accuracy of the ammo. I haven't had the time to get the Garand to the range with this ammo. It shot VERY well with some Danish I came across last spring; so any negative qualities to a future shoot I can attribute to the ammo. (The alibi alone is worth the purchase price.)

A Chief in my Reserve Seabvee unit shoots on one of the Navy Reserve Rifle teams. He said he had poor luck trying to reload the Korean ammo; the primers were a non-standard size. Has anyone had trouble reloading this brass?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys...

A newbie here..just entered the wonderful world of the Garand. I bought a couple hundred rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt. It is headstamped PS 79 and lot # 2-205. All 200 were clean and shiny..no signs of corrosion. Will test at the range after I put the rifle back together. :D The safety was rubbing on the trigger guard,so I figured it needed a little tweek for a quick fix. Instead of a tweek I got a boink and now waiting for a new safety from CMP. Guess I now qualify for a WESCOG diploma.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Originally posted by Ray P@Aug 5 2003, 04:14 PM
A Chief in my Reserve Seabvee unit shoots on one of the Navy Reserve Rifle teams. He said he had poor luck trying to reload the Korean ammo; the primers were a non-standard size. Has anyone had trouble reloading this brass?
I have reloaded this bras up to 4 times with Garand standard loads; it seems fine. I inspected it very well before use; as I din't want to get into the splits like some have.

You *do* need to ream the crimps, though. When I swaged them, I still needed to slightly chamfer the pockets for best results.

Larry

·
Rifleman308
16 Posts
I have bought both types of Korean ammo. The boxed with 20 rounds is non corrosive but I also bought on clips 384 rounds in a can for $75 and 480 rounds in a box for $79 from Aim Surplus . The 384 and the 480 is corrosive but it cleans up real easy with regular cleaning products or Windex. I have reloaded the brass from all 3 types with no problems but you never know. :blink: I have no interest in the link to Aim I just shop there because it is only 20 miles away. I have also checked with some of the guys on the rifle team and no one has had the same problem. You may have got a freak lot or something. If you get a minute give my site a look. Some sweet rifles and pistols for sale. Pictures of my guns :2guns:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got 400 rounds of Korean PS 2-032 M2 Ball (non corrosive) from Cheaper Than Dirt. Got it for around $97 + shipping. Cases are nice and shiny, no corrosion or damage visible.

Looks like it is now out of stock.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Picked up a case (1000 rnds) of the Korean PS 2-198, looks good shoots good and I was told it was non corrosive. This thread has been an eye opener, I didn't realize that there was so much difference between lot numbers in quality.

·
Rifleman308
16 Posts
The ammo I bought is defiantly corrosive. I bought it in cans with the bandoleer and it was 384 rounds per can. Shoots great and it looks good but if you do not clean the rifle when you get home you will pay for it later. I know the Korean ammo in the 20 round box is not corrosive but most of the ammo on a Garand clip is. If you compare the price the ammo is much cheaper on the clip!! My Garand is one of the nicest ones I have ever seen in its original state but I have no problem with shooting corrosive ammo through it because I always clean it for about an hour every time I take it out. Have fun shooting but any time you buy surplus ammo you take the risk of corrosion setting in your bore. :ar15:

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Korean ammo can be a good value. Ammo with "KA " headstamp IS corrosive while " PS " IS NOT. I've fired a thousand rounds or so of PS thru my two M1's without a hitch. The brass is good quality and reloadable if you stay away from 74 and earlier mfg. 74 and some, not much, of 75 mfg. has a neck splitting problem. I'm about half way thru my second reloading of the PS and haven't lost a single case yet. I've done all my reloading using the RCBS X die. Try Widener's Reloading & Shooting Supply, think I spelled it right, last I looked they still has PS for about $70 per can of 400 rounds in 20 round boxes plus shipping of $11 or $12.

Try the CMP Estore. I think you can buy LC surplus by the 240 round can for $48 plus shipping. A Bit more but it's USGI, hard to beat.

Hope this helps,

rifle guy

www.wideners.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts