Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so this is a rundown of the issues that I have had and a list of the fixes that I did and the results. I have owned this weapon since it was new and shoot it religously every weekend a minimum of 100 rounds since it is my carry piece and I also shoot IDPA with it.

Had many ftf during the "break in" period then things seemed to smooth out right before I deployed.
I came back and started to have the slide lock back mid magazine EVERY magazine.

I did some research and decided to buy a few wilson combat 47D mags thinking that my mags staying loaded through out my deployment had possibly caused my springs to take a set.
This reduced the malfunctions to 1-3 per 50 rounds.
At this point I am frustrated and had the ordnance officer at work here (who used to build MEU SOC and NM pistols in Quantico) look at it and he diagnosed the problem as my sear spring and/or possibly my plunger. He also noted damage to the slide from the slide locking abruptly mid magazine.

I have replaced the recoil spring 3x now since I have run a large amount of rounds +/- 15k through the gun using wilson recoil springs.

I have a new sear spring and wilson bullet proof slide stop on the way since another of the possible problems are the rounds bumping the slide stop on their way up the mag and onto the feed ramp causing the premature lockback. I also had taken a file and removed a slight bit of metal from the slide stop and was finally able to fire 50 rounds flawlessly last weekend but am not confident so I am going to replace the slide stop as well.

The other issue is hammer follow almost always when releasing the slide on an empty chamber, (which according to Kimber you are not supposed to do) and even sometimes when chambering a round after a speed reload.

When I receive the parts (should be sometime this week) I will put them in and take it to the range this weekend and see if it runs. Updates to follow.

Thes malfunctions were replicated by everyone who shot this pistol as well.

Ammo used.
Federal 230 gr ball
Tula ammo
CORBON DPX
Winchester white box
Blazer
Aguila
Freedom Munitions factory reloads
and my own reloads using 185 gr LSWC and 4.5 gr bullseye and 200 gr LRN all from Missuri bullets.

* NOTE *
Many will probably ask/wonder why I havent sent the gun back to Kimber. The reason is simple. I have only one carry gun that I practice with religiously and know intimately and trust myself to take pretty much any shot asked of me and it is this gun. I cannot afford 6+ weeks without it and I also want to learn how to fix and diagnose as many problems as I can. That being said. I will probably NEVER buy another Kimber

·
Registered
216 Posts
First of all, if you are carrying this weapon with these issues, you need to get something else that does work...EVERY TIME.

Second, order a new slide stop, preferably a Colt part.

Third, increase the tension on the sear spring to stop hammer follow.

Fourth,

It is OK to drop the slide under two conditions.

1. You are chambering a service round.
2. On an empty weapon, pull the trigger and hold it back until the slide is in battery. This clears the sear and the hammer hook to avoid battering.

And lastly, you should have sent the pistol back immediately upon the first issue. A Raptor is too expensive and gimmicky to be causing all this angst. Lesson Learned. Next time, do it right my brother.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that, however, The only rounds my pistol cycles dead nuts reliably is my carry rounds which are CORBON DPX. Never have had a failure of any kind with about 200 rounds. Also as I stated, I don't have another carry pistol and can't afford to be without one for 6+ weeks hence why I am ordering the parts and doing the work myself. We increased the tension on the sear spring and it fixed the hammer follow temporarily, but, after about 100 rounds it was back at it again thats why I ordered the spring.
And next time I will do it right and not order a Kimber.. lol I will go with a TRP or something else.

·
Registered
216 Posts
You can trade this lemon in a day. If you feel the need to be armed every waking moment, I would encourage you to do so. I don't think 200 rounds of Corbon is something I would bet my life on. Kimber has a lot of issues. I own a Custom Target II, so I am not a hater. I had to work on my pistol as well. My pistol is now a 100%'er.

Here is what I HAD to do to make it that way:

Remove Swartz safety
Replace all MIM FCG with forged parts ( to include slide stop)
Trigger job
fitted bushing
Throw factory Kimber Mags in the trash
Install SA mag guide

The oversize slide stop issue is a plague with these guns.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the parts in, Replaced the sear spring and had to do a little fitting for the slide stop.

I took 100 rounds and loaded them into mags one round at a time and utilizing my safe direction pad practiced my speed reloads learning the new extended slide stop and also observing for hammer follow. I sent the slide home on 100 rounds and didn't observe one case of hammer follow. That problem seems to be fixed, but I am going to run 200 rounds of reloads through the gun at lunch today (100 200gr LRN + 100 185 gr LSWC) and see how it runs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate the constructive critisism Crockett and I wish I (in retrospect) that I would have done something different, however, I am trying to make the best of the situation and also put the issues I have had out there for anyone else who may run across the same problems.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi usmc, I have owned and still own a number of 1911s and ALL of them have had failures during use. After an ~200 round break-in they tend to stabilize and become fairly reliable. If you own a 1911 and carry it for defense, you must learn to clear the firearm on failure and be prepared to do so. What bothers me is that Murphy's Law will have a less than 100% firearm fail to function when most needed.

The older I get, the more I rely on a lightweight .38P+ with laser grips in a front pocket for defensive carry. I forget it's there. There is never an issue of failure with a quality revolver, 5 for sure.

Regards,
Richard

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL I have gotten pretty damn good at malfunction drills, I originally purchased snap caps to practice with then after awhile I realized that the pistol was malfunctioning enough on its own that I didn't need them lol

I have ran 300 rounds of assorted reloads and 100 rounds of factory ammo through the gun in the lase week and have observed the following.

2 FTF with 100 LSWC which is a vast improvement. (I do not use these any more for this reason and I was simply using up my remaining loads)
0 malfunctions or hammer follow with 200 rounds of my new load (200 gr LRNFP)
2 FTF with 100 rounds of WWB wally world ammo (230 gr FMJ)
1 case of hammer follow upon dropping the slide on a full mag of WWB.

I'm going to talk to my Ordanance officer today and see if he will fit a new sear and disconnector for me if I purchase them.

The next purchase will be a new Mainspring housing from Ed Brown (Blued chainlink) and will probably go ahead and replace the main spring and plunger while I am at it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts