Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sending my Ranch Rifle to ARS is Odessa Tx in the near future.
I'm calling this my "Kalifornia AR Project" because I can't get an AR-15 type rifle in this state and I want an accurate, reliable and light weight .223 semi auto that I could put a scope/sight system on.
Here's the plan:
18" barrel 1in12 twist .790 dia with a military chamber
Synthetic stock (aftermarket)
Trigger job
Glass bed.
Rear sight is a Williams WGRS
Front sight will be a Ashley Outdoors dovetail base

Your thoughts? :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you don't already have your mind made up, here is another "Super Mini" manufacturer that has very good-looking stuff. I haven't used either, just presenting the options.

A .790 barrel is probably sufficient, but the also come anywhere up to an inch. The "heavy gas block" option seems attractive, since the stiffeness of any cantilevered barrel is most critically dependendent on the stiffness at the base. So larger barrel diameter through the gas block translates into MUCH greater stiffness, more than the diameter out neer the muzzle.

Please report on your project results !
Thanks,

*****I just noticed that I forgot to include the link ! Here it Is :

http://iyp.uswestdex.com/accuracysystemsinc/Page7.html

·
Registered
685 Posts
why 1/12? why not 1/7-1/9 which are better for heavy rounds or are you going for 40 grainers that like 1/12?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I stick with 55 grain bullets (I plan on using American Eagle/Winchester White Box and M193 military style ammo) T Lewis at ARS says that twist rate will provide the higest level of accuracy for that bullet wieght. Yes 1/12 won't work so well for any bullets heavier. As Dirty Harry once said: "A man's got to know his limitations." :2guns:
My goal is to have a reasonably accurate rifle (< 2moa with AE ammo) that is also as light as possible.
The feedback is great! ;)

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Wow djskit sounds like a nice mini your building, but I would think it would be closer to a 1/2 MOA instead of 2 MOA. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts