Perfect Union banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the 9mm "Scorpion" model with a 16.2" barrel. Looks like this...there's another model with a fake suppressor, but I happen to own a "real" suppressor. Hopefully will be able to get out to the range this weekend or next week. This is a pic off the CZ site.

Also ordered and got a couple of 35-round magazines for the new rifle, made by Magpul. Cheap. Not clear on the sides like the one shown here.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,220 Posts
HOLY CRAP!

You didn't have to buy a rifle just to show us you really are a true blue defender of gun rights.

AND a suppressor?

You know, I presume, that we'll need pictures from the range visit.

How much trouble was it to get a suppressor? Total cost for suppressor ownership?

I have a Ruger PC9 on the way. We will have to exchange info.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at that Ruger. I like it and have shot one at the local range. It's a really good buy. I've had the 9mm suppressor for a while: 9mm has long been my "go-to" pistol cartridge (other than .22LR-and I also have a .22LR suppressor, too).
With tax stamp, I have approximately $600 "invested" in the 9mm suppressor. It took nearly nine months for the ATF to "approve" me. I used the electronic filing kiosk available at a local gun dealer. The time to get approvals varies widely and apparently is not based upon anything logical. I got the .22LR suppressor approval/tax stamp in less than five months. Other than the damned wait for approval, there was no "trouble" involved.

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
I admire and knowing CZ quality it's bound to be a good shooter but a bit too much 'star wars' appearance for me. is that a folder stock appears to be?
I used the older style formed from rod choate folder for my Marlin 9mm - which as you I favor the 9mm Para loading since +P handload 124 gr Remmy 'golden sabre' bullets come out the business end with impressive velocity - translates into flat trajectory. not as much range as the 110 gr .30 caliber US GI carbine but a more simple design. I use Mec-Gar 20 round mags and couple 32 round pro mag I tweaked to function 100%

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the Scorpion has a folding adjustable stock. I have a really decent supply of 9mm "suppressor" ammo, and I am loading the new mags with it. It's Fiocchi 158 grain full metal jacket "subsonic" rated at 950 fps. Bought it some years ago when the "buying" was cheap. These 35-round mags were in short supply, apparently, until very recently, I was told. They're under $20 each. Got some 20-rounders, too.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,220 Posts
I looked at that Ruger. I like it and have shot one at the local range. It's a really good buy. I've had the 9mm suppressor for a while: 9mm has long been my "go-to" pistol cartridge (other than .22LR-and I also have a .22LR suppressor, too).
With tax stamp, I have approximately $600 "invested" in the 9mm suppressor. It took nearly nine months for the ATF to "approve" me. I used the electronic filing kiosk available at a local gun dealer. The time to get approvals varies widely and apparently is not based upon anything logical. I got the .22LR suppressor approval/tax stamp in less than five months. Other than the damned wait for approval, there was no "trouble" involved.
Yes, I'd expect great quality from CZ. I hope for good things from the Ruger.

I can use my Glock mags for the Ruger and I have plenty (up to 17 rounds).

That delay on approval may be Covid related. It slows down a lot of things. I've had a long wait for a Timney trigger for a Model 7 Remington that should have only taken a couple days.

So you already had the suppressor. Are the threads going to be the same as your CZ? Was it threaded for one of your pistols?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Threads are the same. There are inserts to accommodate the cycling of the pistol action.

Reactions: Logos

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,220 Posts
Do you think perhaps your purchase of a suppressor got you on an extra special government list?

I wonder about that for myself.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you think perhaps your purchase of a suppressor got you on an extra special government list?

I wonder about that for myself.
You mean other than the ATF list of purchasers of suppressors or the FBI list of those who the ATF asked for background info? I dunno and I don't care one way or the other. I don't commit felonies and I pay my taxes. The "guv'mint" has no special need to be concerned about me. It's not as if I go on a firearms discussion board and post veiled threats against the government, government officials, politicians, or other posters. :)

Reactions: Logos

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,220 Posts
Sometimes the "gov'mint" has no special need to be concerned.

But they get concerned anyway.

As in.........why does a "normal, law-abiding" citizen need a suppressor?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To protect my hearing, of course. The suppressors available to ordinary folks do not even come close to "silencing" a firearm.

·
Cognitive Dissident
2,220 Posts
To protect my hearing, of course. The suppressors available to ordinary folks do not even come close to "silencing" a firearm.
I didn't know of suppressors for ordinary folks?

In my state it's get the ATF papers or have nothing.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are suppressors ordinary folks cannot buy. The way it works for mere mortals like us:
You buy a suppressor from a dealer or distributor.
The dealer or distributor hangs onto the suppressor until you get your tax stamp.
You fill out a form, either by hand, on line or at a kiosk.
You send in the form to the ATF along with $200.
Six to nine months later, you are approved or disapproved.
If approved, you can pick up the suppressor.
If disapproved, you get the $200 back.

BTW, you can use the same suppressor on a rifle and a pistol, but you need a different part, sold separately, inside the suppressor, to accommodate the fact that the slide on a pistol moves and there is no slide on a rifle.

·
Patron Saint of Rye
531 Posts
Sometimes the "gov'mint" has no special need to be concerned.

But they get concerned anyway.

As in.........why does a "normal, law-abiding" citizen need a suppressor?
You’re making this a much bigger deal than it actually is.

Go in, do your paperwork, pay the $200 Stamp and wait for approval. There are thousands upon thousands of legal suppressors out there in circulation. Literally nobody cares and there’s no reason to be paranoid.

I’ve got a handful and one waiting for approval right now.

·
Patron Saint of Rye
531 Posts
As for the OP, the CZ EVO is great. They’re very accurate and extremely reliable. For competitive use they’re hamstrung by the fact there’s no way to tune them so it’ll never be as smooth as an AR9 and the reloads suck so it’ll hurt you on Classifiers. Just be aware if you plan to run it in IDPA or USPSA.

The factory trigger also sucks in a big way. From cheapest to best results look at HBI springs, then Timney, then CZ Custom. The CZC trigger is almost as good as a high quality AR trigger.

The carbine will be looooonnnngggg with a can. You don’t really pick up much in the way of velocity with the 16” barrel so you might want to think about dropping a Form 1 on it to SBR with a 10” barrel chop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts