Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
hey buddy, mind giving us a series number on that Mini. Depending on the type of Mini 14, there are other options but Tech sight will be your best bet. For example if you have one of the old ones that came with flip up sights you can use a M1 carbine rear sight that is cheaper and just as good as tech sights.
View attachment 67304
Did this ^^ rifle originally come with the flip up sight?

Reactions: James T. Kirk

·
Banned
1,052 Posts
Did this ^^ rifle originally come with the flip up sight?
Yes, and no. Originally 187's 188's and 197 series Mini 14's come with flip up sights, but I bought this rifle used back in 2016, and who ever had it before me added the sight. I had to research it, and get a few questions answered from the good fellas here on these forums. ASI sells their version of the M1 carbine sight that is way over priced but at least shows a diagram on how to install one: Mini 14 30 Pin Bedding Instructions Now the person who had it before me went a little above and beyond by fabricating a shim that sits in front on the sight that the mounting screw goes through holding the sight down in place. The previous owner did a really good job, but ASI says that the provided screw from the original sight is good enough for it to hold it down. But if I were to do it my self I think I would have fabed a shim after seeing the job done on this one. Shame, who ever had the rifle before me sold a jewel of a gun.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yes, and no. Originally 187's 188's and 197 series Mini 14's come with flip up sights, but I bought this rifle used back in 2016, and who ever had it before me added the sight. I had to research it, and get a few questions answered from the good fellas here on these forums. ASI sells their version of the M1 carbine sight that is way over priced but at least shows a diagram on how to install one: Mini 14 30 Pin Bedding Instructions Now the person who had it before me went a little above and beyond by fabricating a shim that sits in front on the sight that the mounting screw goes through holding the sight down in place. The previous owner did a really good job, but ASI says that the provided screw from the original sight is good enough for it to hold it down. But if I were to do it my self I think I would have fabed a shim after seeing the job done on this one. Shame, who ever had the rifle before me sold a jewel of a gun.
Thank-you, I didn't understand how it attached. I do now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Awesome, you know you want to do it to yours. You can usually find original WWII M1 carbine sights on ebay for around $50. They use to be much cheaper before Brandon stole the office, and with gas and everything else they went up in price.
I don't have a original mini 😔 yet... I do want to build a 10/22 with mini sights and a Samson folder, a gb clone.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,024 Posts
hey buddy, mind giving us a series number on that Mini. Depending on the type of Mini 14, there are other options but Tech sight will be your best bet. For example if you have one of the old ones that came with flip up sights you can use a M1 carbine rear sight that is cheaper and just as good as tech sights.
View attachment 67304
Many people have used the M-1 Carbine rear sight on some models of the Mini. Unfortunately, since the M-1 Carbine bullet and the .223/5.56 bullets have different external ballistics (trajectories). the range graduations and corresponding detents on the M-1 Carbine sight are unlikely to work correctly with the .223/5.56 bullet as they did with the .30 Carbine bullet.

One will have to shoot a target using the come-ups (detents) on the M-1 Carbine rear sight, measure difference between bullet POI vs. POA, and then calculate the ranges where the M-1 Carbine rear sight range graduations/detents actually hit using .223/5.56 ammo. Most Mini-users adjust the OEM rear iron sight to the range they find most useful, and leave it there, and I reckon that most Mini owners using a replacement M-1 Carbine rear sight follow the same practice.

That said, the M-1 Carbine rear sight is certainly is an improvement over the OEM Ruger flip rear sight, but that's not saying much. Suggest the Tech Sight appropriate for your Mini to be a better alternative, especially if a Tech sight is offered with replacable plastic aperture inserts. Without inserts, the Tech sight is a good "Ghost ring" rear sight suitable for general field use and in dim light. With inserts, and in good light, the sight can provide some additional accuracy, and perhaps be more useful for older eyes.

Just my opinion. FWIW I use a modified 186 series rear sight capable of .75 MOA adjustment (vice 1.5 MOA OEM adjustment), and with a Peep aperture that I internally threaded for common "screw-in" peep apertures. Was a DIY project, and cost was minimal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered and installed a Mini200R Tech Sight on my newly acquired 188 series ranch rifle. It had the OEM flip up rear sight, broken in half. Could not be happier with the sight and service from Tech Sight. I'm a peep sight man, so this fit the bill perfectly.

·
Formerly "raf"
4,024 Posts
I had one of the M1 Carbine Type III sights on the Mini-30 I carried as a trunk weapon in the late 1990s. I found the range scale on the sight (100/150, 200, 300) was close to accurate, though IIRC, I think I had to trim the front sight a smidge.
I reckon the M-1 Carbine rear sight graduations/detents are a better match with the Mini-30 and the 7.62x39 ctg than with the Mini-14 and the 5.56 ctg.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts