Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The install of my hogue stock went well as expected. My only concern is how well the forearm liner fits in the stock. The liner fits in quite well, fits snug in the gas block area, but the back end, closest to the mag well just kinda sits there. The instructions say it should "snap in"? Also when i break down the rifle the forearm liner comes up with the receiver as its not snapped in place. Ive done a bit of research on the issue but theres not much information on the subject. I have found one response to the issue online and others say that, yes, the liner does just kinda set in there not snapped into place and that it is normal and does not effect the function of rifle. Can others with the hogue stock give me some feedback on the issue so i can have a bit of peace at mind? I would appreciate it! thanks.

· Registered
397 Posts
When I got my Hogue I had the same concern. I called Hogue about this and there is suppose to be some kind of molding for the liner to snap into at the back but mine didn't have anything there. I just read someone else on here that had this same issue and he just used a small screw in the tab on the back of the liner.

· Banned
7,951 Posts
When I got my Hogue I had the same concern. I called Hogue about this and there is suppose to be some kind of molding for the liner to snap into at the back but mine didn't have anything there. I just read someone else on here that had this same issue and he just used a small screw in the tab on the back of the liner.
You may be referring to my past post. The Hogue comes with a small round tab post intended to secure the rear tab of forend liner. It broke off after removing the forend liner twice for cleaning/switching between stocks. The Hogue tab is much less substantial than the original Ruger synthetic. Below is a pic of my fix using a small drilled hole and small screw to secure the rear of the forend liner of the Hogue. Caution - The head of the screw must not protrude above the forend liner surface.

401 Posts
You may be referring to my past post. The Hogue comes with a small round tab post intended to secure the rear tab of forend liner. It broke off after removing the forend liner twice for cleaning/switching between stocks. The Hogue tab is much less substantial than the original Ruger synthetic. Below is a pic of my fix using a small drilled hole and small screw to secure the rear of the forend liner of the Hogue. Caution - The head of the screw must not protrude above the forend liner surface.

I used this same fix on my rig.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. GameOver i like your fix and will probably do the same. Do you guys think that just letting it set in there not snapped into place would have a negative effect on the function of the rifle?

· Banned
7,951 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. GameOver i like your fix and will probably do the same. Do you guys think that just letting it set in there not snapped into place would have a negative effect on the function of the rifle?
I just figured there was a reason that rear tab of the liner was secured to reduce possible interference or friction from the op rod. You can try and let it float at the rear and let us know. When you drill the hole for the screw there will be little width to work on the web so use the smallest drill/screw possible.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GameOver, did you have any issue drilling the hole that close to the inside edge of that small gap? How well does the screw hold? And how many times have you taken the screw out? I'm worried if I take the screw in and out so many times that the hole could widen or no longer be able to hold screw tightly," stripped" for lack of a better term. Have you shot your rifle many times with this modification? Again I'll ask the question to all others, has anyone had this problem with the hogue stock? Has anyone not been able to firmly snap the forearm liners into there stock and just let it set in there freely and shot the rifle with any problems?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing and I'll let this thread come to a close after responses of last reply. Does anyone know how well I would be able to transfer to a ruger synthetic stock from wood stock? Would I run into issues of fitting forearm liner like I did with the hogue? And would anyone recommend the synthetic stock although reviews say hogue is better?

· Registered
69 Posts
no offense but i'd send that thing back to hogue before i *******-engineered it like that
it's supposed to snap in place, with firm pressure
mine snapped right on

you might look at a tiny trim of the polymer tab before sticking a screw in it
otherwise, you paid your money for something thats designed specifically to fit
if it doesnt fit, you deserve one that does

again, no offense to you or the poster that fixed it with a screw

· Registered
1,117 Posts
One more thing and I'll let this thread come to a close after responses of last reply. Does anyone know how well I would be able to transfer to a ruger synthetic stock from wood stock? Would I run into issues of fitting forearm liner like I did with the hogue? And would anyone recommend the synthetic stock although reviews say hogue is better?
Should fit in there just fine.
I love the ruger synthetic stock. It's very lite and rugged. I highly recommend bedding the stock. It is not always a tight fit. I used Brownells Acraglas Gel like Gundoc's suggestion on his how to video.. It's quite easy really.

I don't have a pic, but I was able to cut away some of the stock and inlay a Picatinny rail on the bottom for a magpul AFG and light mount in a more low profile manner. Thinking about one of those adjustable cheek rest.. Easy to add stuff on it.

· Registered
1,117 Posts
Here's the embedded rail. Secured with JB weld.

Here's the AFG. Notice no rise fromthe rail. Almost flush with the stock.

· Registered
159 Posts
had the same issue on a new out of box Target model, factory Hogue stock... returned it to Ruger for fix....as it was NEW... however, GameOver's fix is sweet... should those threads "strip" i'm sure the hole could be filled with JB weld, and retapped. Damn nice job with the rail King.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue last year with the Houge stock and the forearm liner. I contacted Houge and they had never heard of any such issues. Nobody new of a solution. Several days later, a representative contacted me to tell me that their "gun smith" suggested using silicone! Wrong answer. I can't tell you how dissapointed I was with this, especially with a brand new product. I sent the stock back for a refund. I recently ordered another stock and found the excact same issues. The weak plastic tab is useless and serves no purpose. After studying the problem, I realized that nothing is needed to secure the liner in place. For lack of better terms, when installed in the Houge stock, the portion of the rifle just behind the recoil spring/guide rod sits on the very rear end of the liner. If you turn the gun upside down and look into the magazine well, you are able to see where the contact is. there is no way that the liner can flop or wobble. I haven't fired my gun yet, but I can't see where this will create any problems what so ever. The Liner is pinned down and secure! Now I am ready to shoot>

· Registered
3,633 Posts
I also noticed with my Hogue that the liner would not snap down as per the instructions, and I thought I remembered others say the tab snapped off when they forced it. Good to know it's being held down by the action and shouldn't interfere with the op rod travel. I still don't like it coming loose though, when the barreled action is removed for detail cleaning, so will consider the "remedies".

· Registered
344 Posts
Had the same problem and concern when I got the Hogue for my 184 Mini. But five years later it is still operating fine. Occasionally the liner will come out when I remove the action, and that's the time I clean under the liner, but most times it stays in place. It's had absolutely no effect on the functioning of the gun. The Hogue definitely improved the accuracy and handling of the gun. The rubber overmold has a much better feel than the wood or the synthetic that I have on my 581 Mini.

· Registered
10,504 Posts
My liner did not snap in real tight from the Hogue I bought 10 yrs ago. It doesn't matter because when the action and rifle is all together it can't move because of the design of the liner and the way it fits on the front. You guys are worried for nothing.

· Registered
898 Posts
I will have to agree with tri70 on this one. Mines the same way and have never had a issue, kinda bugged me at 1st but I'am over it. I do like the screw fix maybe some day I'll try that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.