Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a 1945 russian m44. do you think it was a good investment? i wanted something powerful to shoot. i'm not much into collecting... just something powerful out to 100yards. i bought it for $64 with 95% bluin and other good stuff.

by the way do you think i should get a black stock or keep the wooden one?

anyone know any websites to get cheap military 7.62x54r ammo. ones that are full brass and not steel cased. i've seen albanian 147grains brass bullets, but don't know where to get it? and will a 147 gr make a different with a 180gr or are both powerful?

·
Registered
57 Posts
CrazyKid...

You've got yourself a fine rifle if it's just 1/2 as good as mine are! Try shooting with the bayonet fixed in the "battle" position. Both of mine shoot more to point of aim that way.

I prefer to keep the original wood stock on mine. I've one each of the hardwood stock and laminated stock, both 1945 dated.

Try www.centuryarms.com for 7.62X54R surplus ammunition. I've tried several different surplus types: Czech, Russian, and Albanian. I like the Russian best, but I've not had any problems with any of the other types. Some rifles of this type digest ammunition in different ways, however.

Lots of muzzle flash and recoil from this gun. Shoulder it tightly and you'll do well. Don't fire from prone position in dry grass. You might start a fire!

Good luck and good shooting!

Originally posted by crazy kid
i just purchased a 1945 russian m44. do you think it was a good investment? i wanted something powerful to shoot. i'm not much into collecting... just something powerful out to 100yards. i bought it for $64 with 95% bluin and other good stuff.

by the way do you think i should get a black stock or keep the wooden one?

anyone know any websites to get cheap military 7.62x54r ammo. ones that are full brass and not steel cased. i've seen albanian 147grains brass bullets, but don't know where to get it? and will a 147 gr make a different with a 180gr or are both powerful?

·
Registered
30 Posts
CrazyKid;
Congrats on the M44!! I have 3-one hardwood and 2-laminated all matching. Are yours matching numbers?
You asked, so I'll tell you my opinion on replacing the stock; I wouldnt ever put a plastic stock on these fine pieces of history.
It destroys the rifles' collectability as well as its' historical signifigance, besides I have never seen an "aftermarket" stock for an M44.
Anyway, enjoy it !!!!
Cheers, AU2
p.s. AIM has brass case Yugo ammo for these at a reasonable price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts