Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first mini, used, off Gunbroker. Mini-30 in factory configuration with only a Simmons 3-9 added. Excellent condition, may actually be unfired. Paid $546 including shipping and transfer fee. My plan is to buy a few ruger factory 20 rounders, an accurizing system, a sling, and muzzle brake/flash hider. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to do my planned mods (i.e. threaded brake or bolt on, good barrel strut systems, etc.) or any other mods I should consider? Also, I don't want to spark controversy, but should I shoot russian ammo out of this thing (wolf, brown bear, golden tiger, etc)? I've heard debates on both sides of this issue. Would like some clarification. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will have fun modifying your Mini. This should help answer all of your questions. http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/search.php
...and, keep him busy too. ;)

Welcome to the PU, Blackdog_507! Please enjoy your stay.

Feel free to ask any questions you like. But, I would also check around the existing posts too. There's a ton of information already here.

BTW, check out the "Tips & Tricks for Your Mini-14/30" section.

click here

Cheers,

alaj70

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Welcome to the gang! Start with simple, adjust gas block and get good ammo.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Just bought my first mini, used, off Gunbroker. Mini-30 in factory configuration with only a Simmons 3-9 added. Excellent condition, may actually be unfired. Paid $546 including shipping and transfer fee. My plan is to buy a few ruger factory 20 rounders, an accurizing system, a sling, and muzzle brake/flash hider. Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to do my planned mods (i.e. threaded brake or bolt on, good barrel strut systems, etc.) or any other mods I should consider? Also, I don't want to spark controversy, but should I shoot russian ammo out of this thing (wolf, brown bear, golden tiger, etc)? I've heard debates on both sides of this issue. Would like some clarification. Thanks in advance!
I personally would not shoot any Russian ammo out of a Mini-30. The Mini-30 should have a .308 barrel on it, and the Russian AK's and SKS's have a .310 Barrel. If you shoot .310 ammo out of your Mini-30, you'll have higher pressures. I personally would buy 7.62x39 brass, and reload it with .308 diameter bullets.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I have shot literally thousands of rounds of Russian steel cased ammo through my 581 series mini 30 without any negative effects. Go for it!
Do tell...

what brand of Russian steel case ammo have you been shooting? ever try silver bear?
what kind of FTF rate are you seeing? or have they all gone "pop" when prodded?
what kind of accuracy are you getting from them?

·
Registered
163 Posts
wolf black box, brown bear, golden tiger, Uly white box, and strangely enough, Hornady steel cased V-Max.

I have a wolf extra power hammer spring installed.

Wolf, Brown bear, and golden tiger all give about a 1-2% failure to fire, and a 0% failure to eject. accuracy is 4-6 inches (minute of pie plate or minute of bad guy) at 100 yards off hand with a red dot. For plinking ammo or long term storage this stuff isn't bad. It wouldn't be my first choice for hunting or defense, but it makes a decent back up. Wolf is a little sootier, but it all seems the same to me other than that.

The Ulyanovsk stuff is terrible. About 50% failure to fire and 50% failure to eject. 8-10 inch accuracy. I hate this stuff

The hornady stuff has a 0% failure to fire, but it has a 100% failure to eject, which is a real shame, because it shoots at or under an inch off the bench at 100 yards. I end up having to cycle the rifle by hand with this stuff. FWIW, this stuff is .310 diameter, not .308

Never tried the silver bear stuff, but probably should now that the russian stuff is more available and coming down in price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts