Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a bipod put on my mini 14 stock I set it back a little bit to get more meat for the swivel stud to bite into because the stock tapers down on the inside. I took my time with it and drilled it perfectly so the swivel stud would not bust through the other side and contact the retainer plate. The swivel stud is in there really tight with a dab of blue Loctite but I'm just wondering is this where guys usually put their bipods or do they have them closer to the gas block

Attachments

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Looks about the same as mine, I add the extra stud about 3" back from the gas block.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I did the same for mine (except wooden stock) - about 3" back from the gas block. I oriented the bi-pod adapter for the stud (in the picture) so the two slots were forward of the stud. I have since swapped it around so that the two slots are rearward of the stud. Makes for a nicer (IMHO) stance and in about the same place one would have naturally placed the rifle were one using a rest.

I would caution that putting the stud into the stock without a threaded back plate to secure it will likely cause it to fail. As little felt recoil as there is, there is enough to strip the thread and have it come out. I started out using a coarse-thread stud into my stock and all felt great and solid. Until after firing, when the stud (and bi-pod) was very loose and had started cracking the stock. So I bought a T-nut at True Value, enlarged the hole a little, shaved off two sides of the T-nut base (so it resembled a rectangle rather than a circle) and used a machine-threaded stud. Made it much stronger and I no longer am concerned about it working loose or cracking the stock more. I even used a small washer between the stud and the wood stock to spread out the pressure.

There are several threads on this forum about how to do this. Harris also makes a kit that - while not specifically designed for the Mini - works with some minor fitment.

Key to all of this, of course, is making sure nothing impedes the op-rod cycling.

Very nice looking Mini you have there!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I see a lot of guys that put their bipods ( or vertical grips) on their AR's very close to the receiver. I don't like that, as it makes it very difficult to place your hand on the forearm for normal shooting.
But on a Mini, I'd think that placing the bipod farther away from the gas block would be better, so pressure from the bipod will not affect the POI.
On an AR with a free float fore end, having stuff hanging off the fore end is not much of an issue, as pressure from a bipod will not have the fore end pressing against the barrel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Not the best picture but I used a Harris #2 Bipod mount and installed mine a bit further forward on the synthetic stock. Lots of fun to shoot. I've since changed out the scope for a Red Dot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
A bipod should go almost as far forward as you can get it. On a Mini, I would leave about 1" of stock between the gas block and the front edge of the bipod mounting plate.

My understanding is that with a wood stock, you're supposed to buy the stud from Harris that comes with a metal backing plate. A sling swivel stud is not really meant to double as a bipod stud. The Harris stud for use on wood stocks goes all the way through the stock and screws into a nut in the plate.

You're supposed to put forward pressure on a bipod when you're shooting. This will likely eventually pull out a sling swivel stud that's just screwed into the wood. If that happens, it will probably take a good chunk of wood with it.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
cttb, speaking from personal experience, yes, it does! Solved with a T-nut (modified) and a machine-threaded stud. Fortunately, didn't take any wood with it but began to show the starting of a split in the wood (about 1/8" long), fixed with some very fine glue.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
I've shot from the forearm sitting on a rest and about 3" back is where I got the best accuracy, the pressure on the gas block is evened out. It's an easy way to check, keep shooting till the groups tighten or start to spread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts