Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found some John Masen 30 rd mags for sale, are these reliable mags? Do they hold the bolt open after the last shot? Thanks

No Longer Involved
from what I recall, Masen mags are OK... worse than Ruger factory (naturally) but better than most USA mags.

I used to have contact information for Masen.. you could ask if they'd honor an exchange if faulty.

Registered
Hesitant to buy until I hear something good about them. They also have a ton of PMIs which are more expensive...

Registered
I have heard very good things about the John Masen pre-ban 30 rd. magazines. The Masen and PMI mags are both supposed to be very high quality high capacity magazines. I have just ordered about 3 of these myself at $34.95 each. I have also ordered a couple of the PMI mags. Along with a Ruger factory stripper clip guide and some stripper clips, I should be set on mags. Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best 10 rd mags to purchase? I like the looks of the Eagle brand 10 rounders as well the new polymer mags made by Millett but have never used either. Anyone know if these are good? But back to the Masen's, the FAQ on this board states that only the Masen mags were reliable in full auto fire. The PMI's failed this test. But then again, we don't have to worry about full auto here.

op-rod

Registered
op-rod-
Let us know how the guide & stripper clips work out. I've not had any luck with the ones I've gotten. Could be just junk though.
If there are any tricks anybody knows of....
It seemed easier to hand load mags, so I've been stocking up. If I could get the stripper clips working I could sell my soul (I mean spare clips) to Satan....:p

FYI-
The stripper clips hold 10 rounds each, the guide allows you to sort of force feed the 10 rounds down into the mag all at once. Supposed to be for fast reloading for military types.
Do a search on Gunbroker.com I recall an ad with a small video showing them in operation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know if the 10 rounders are any different but I have two 35 round Eagle mags which work great, never any failure to feed. My only problem with them was that they dont hold the bolt open on the last shot. Good Luck!

Registered
Stripper clips are wonderful to have. Not only do they save reloading time, but save your thumb as well! Strippers have been in use for many, many years. When using them in old military bolt actions like the Mausers and Enfields, you can actually keep up a pretty good rate of fire. Strippers can also be bought to load rounds directly into SKS rifles as well.
*** BTW, I have placed an order for US Military surplus .223 stripper clips and a factory Ruger Mini-14 guide. I'll let you guys know how they function when they arrive. I have ordered from Delta Force so I suspect they will be of the finest quality.

op-rod

Registered
Originally posted by Drupa
Hesitant to buy until I hear something good about them. They also have a ton of PMIs which are more expensive...
WHO is "they" and WHAT is "PMI"? If "PMI" is Precision Magazine Inductry I'd like to hear about them......I didn't think they made 10 round magazines however........:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts