Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot remove the front sight pin on my Mini-14 which is necessary to install my new John Masen muzzlebrake. Further, I lost the longer front sight pin that is used in mounting the muzzle brake. Can someone suggest alternative mounting methods? I don't want it to be permenant, and I don't want to destroy the look of my rifle (ie duct tape).

·
Registered
567 Posts
natedog---Using the correct size punch to remove the factory roll pin should be easy enough. I read somewhere that someone used a nail but the point would tend to expand the roll pin making it tough to remove. I know all the local ACE hardware stores in my area sell individual punches pretty cheap. After getting the factory pin out measure the width of the muzzle brake where the new pin goes & go back to the hardware store & buy a new roll pin. If this fails the easiest but more expensive route is to take it to a gunsmith who will install the brake for you.

Good luck
Bushwack

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Nate, first go to HomeDepot, or Lowes hardware, and pic up another roll pin. Here is the size you need: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...light=roll+pins

Any flat punch will do, just lay the front sight down on a 2x4 for back up leaving enough room for the pin to come out, and tap the pin out. A sharp tap will do it. If you don't have a small punch you can make one out of a nail by filing off the point to a blunt end. The pin is 1/8" dia. so the hole, and punch is a little smaller.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I used a finishing nail backwards.
Went through about 4 of them they kept bending.
But it did the trick.
The head of finishing nail was same thickness as pin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts