Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I have received 4 brand new John Masen 30 rounders from CIE Global. They are the nicest looking pre-ban high caps that I have owned, this side of Ruger factory. Pretty good quality for aftermarket mags, I give them an A. The mags have a follower which looks very similar to the Ruger design and look to be pretty close copies of the Ruger mags. I was worried about their finish at first because I had heard they had a painted on finish instead of bluing. This was no problem. They aren't blued but the finish is dark and nice. All 4 of these mags feed smoothly. I have some USA mags that feed but these feel so much smoother, I really like them and recommend them. They can be bought from the above company for about $34.95 each, cheaper some than most PMI's are going for nowadays and in my opinion, just as good. They also fit into the gun better than any aftermarket high caps I have used. The only thing I didn't like about these mags was that the ends on some the floorplates weren't flush with the bottom of the mag walls and hung down just a little. But this doesn't affect the way they work at all.

op-rod

·
Registered
689 Posts
op-rod I prefer Masens over P.M.I.s myelf. There a little heavier gauge steel and the powder coat finish holds up just fine. To tell the truth I'm surprised not that many Mini owners know about them or use them. The floor plates are a little thin and cheap compared to the rest of the mag, but in no way affects how they work. They are a little hard to find nowadays, pricey now too.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grinch,

The ones I have hold the bolt back fine. I really like these Masen mags, wish I had known what was quality and what was crap a few years ago, that way I could have bought them at about the same prices that USA and Triple K's go for today. However I have heard bad things about their 10 rounders but have never tried them myself so I can't honestly say. Interestingly enough, my Ruger factory 5 rd. mag doesn't the hold the bolt open after the last shot, bolt just skips right over the top of the follower and by a pretty good margin. Is this normal? The mag feeds perfectly though.

op-rod

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My Ruger 5 rd and 20 rd magazines both hold the bolt open perfectly, however, my Eagle and Ramline hi-caps dont hold them open at all. Could the part of the follower that engages the bolt stop be worn or damaged? If not maybe the magazine catch isnt long enough and the mag sits too low. At least the 5 rd mags are still available, right? Good luck

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by Grinch
Do they hold the bolt open like the factory mags ?
Thanks
I've used PMI 30 rounder, Ruger 5 rounder and ProMag 10 rounder magazines and all function 100%, hold the bolt open after last round, and have a good to excellent fit and finish.
Paid $40, OEM, and $18 for them.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Just FYI: The follower itself does not hold back the bolt. The follower simply "trips" the bolt retainer, which in turn holds the bolt open. Otherwise, the follower would be getting beat up every last round.

·
Registered
160 Posts
"The bolt hold open is longer"

I wonder why that is? I have a SS Mini 14 Ranch model, so have never really paid much attention to the other models. I'd think the parts would all pretty much be identical except for the obvious differences (provisions for the scope mounts).

Interesting. I sure have enjoyed this rifle. First CF I've ever owned, not counting a Winchester 30-30 that I 'possessed' for about 3 months! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,

You can check out the Masen mags at CIE Global's site which is www.gunaccessories.com/Magazines/Ruger/Ruger.asp. They were about $34.95 each a few weeks ago. They are nice looking 30 rounders that function and fit into the gun well. They will come in a clear plastic, unmarked wrap. I'm not sure if this is the original packaging, but they are definately Masen mags because they are the only aftermarket magazine that has the same taper design as the factory Ruger. No other aftermarket mags are made this way. Get some of these or PMI's and you'll be in good shape. And don't panic, there will be some available for a while. Most Mini 14 owners buy the cheap USA's or Triple K's because they don't know any better. Only a few passionate mini fans will fork over the dollars to keep our babies eating well! But shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Let's keep this info among ourselves here, that way we can have access to some good stuff a little longer! LOL. Good luck.

op-rod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts