Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting a scope on the Mini-14 Tactical. Not sure I am crazy about the side mounts unless anyone has had good experience with them. Many brands I knnow. I like the ones that Jack Weigand and [email protected] have, specifically the [email protected] model. Thoughts please.

Thanks.Jerry

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've tried the GG&G rail mount on my Mini Ranch rifle. Used it to try out a red dot sight. While I had it mounted I also checked out how a scope would fit on the rail.

What I found was that while the rail fit well, and is well made and held zero, it ended up as a higher set up then the original Ruger rings. A scope can be mounted lower to the receiver using the Ruger rings, while the red dot needed the rail as an intermediary since it could not be mounted with Ruger scope rings.

At the moment I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope mounted on the Ranch with the factory rings, and don't need a cheek riser. Using a scope for the purpose of load development and accuracy testing; once I'm satisfied with range results, the scope will get moved to another rifle project.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Weigand. Stout and well made.

One of the reasons I picked it was because of it's lower profile for use with the standard stock. it was still too high and I went to an ATI stock setup. No more problems.

My scope is in Burris QD rings and no fitment problem in the rail. My Burris Speed Dot was a problem that caused me some mount/dismount zero aggravation until I figured it out. The cross bolt on the Speed Dot mount sits a little low and high centered in the groove, so it never really mounted the same way each time. Once I figured out the problem, I just filed the chosen groove deeper, and 'voila', no more problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts