Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 188 series Mini-14 Ranch Rifle with the new ATM Folder. The stock comes with an internal carriage installed so you do not have to use the one from your factory stock. But there is an issue with the Samson installed carriage. After I installed the Mini into the ATM stock it had a normal tight fit where the stock meets the gas block. As I fired the rifle, i noticed a expanding gap between the stock and the gas block. The rifle was moving in the ATM stock as the bolt slammed home. I carefully examined the fit of the rifle action into the stock carriage and noticed the ATM carriage was very different than my factory Mini-14 carriage. The ATM carriage does not have the double layered steel on the sides of the carriage where the bolt fastens the carriage into the stock. It only has partial double layered steel and a single layer where the action fits into the carriage. With my 188 series rifle that single layer slips under the action as the rifle fires and allows the stock to slide forward leaving a gap between the stock and the gas block. I compared the factory carriage to the ATM carriage. Although they look similar, they are not. The ATM carriage is a cheaper version and not as good of quality. I put the factory carriage into the ATM stock and it locks in the action with no movement at all. The factory carriage did not drop into the wood ATM stock without some slight modifications to the stock. I had to shave off some wood to make it fit correctly.

This issue may have also been the reason the new factory 30 round Ruger Mini-14 magazines did not fit into the rifle, but I am not sure. I had sent those back to Ruger for 20 round mag replacements.

Anyone else have this issue with the rifle action creeping in the stock?

·
Formerly "raf"
2,523 Posts
There certainly have been ATM stock owners who have had problems with the stock reinforcement very similar to yours. Look back in time in this forum, and you will find some threads.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts