Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question. Ive read a lot of post that complain about the mini throwing brass 30' to 40'. I was a the range last week and a guy blasting with his mini two tables down was showering me with brass,"The good stuff too, I didnt mind". My Mini gb does not do that at all! It throws brass a maximum of 8' to 10' but most always drops them gently in 1/4 radius between 12oclock and 3oclock of my shooting position. Most of them I can pick up without getting up from the bench. Could this be due the brass hitting the scope mount? Im useing a millet mount that goes between the ears of the rear sight. I can not see any marks in the mount, but the caseings have a little depressing on the rim. I put many a round through this weapon before I put the scope on and I really dont recall it throwing brass 30' to 40'. Should I get the gas bushing kit? Or would a reduced gas bushing size cause stove pipes or would it just reduce recoil?

I really appreciate the help.

Swordslinger out.

:ar15:

· Registered
141 Posts
My mini rr shoots the brass out about 15-25 feet, and usually some where between 2 and 3 o' clock. Hell it takes me 30 minutes to pick up a couple boxes of ammo. Sounds like you might be hitting the scope mount, but you would think there would be visible marks. I don't have any experience with the gas bushing kit, but I would like to learn as much about it as I can.

· Registered
198 Posts
This may help explain--by Duncan Long

Two Types of Mini-14 Ejectors

I recently received a series of e-mail letters in which writers were debating about how violent the ejection of empty brass was from a Mini-14. One side contended the brass was about as dangerous as the bullets being fired while the other maintained the brass was propelled only a few feat and landed in a neat pile about a yard from the shooter.

As noted by another in the group, actually both sides were correct. As one owner of a Mini-14 noted, the Ranch models do throw the brass some distance while the standard Mini-14 ejects brass forward and to the right about 4 feet.

Why is this?

The standard Mini-14 and AC556 series have a spring-loaded ejector on their bolt (like most military rifles including the M16) while the Ranch series uses a bumper ejector more like the .45 Auto pistol. The spring-loaded ejector is pretty gentle when it kicks the empty out. On the other hand, the "bumper ejector" works like a hammer to kick the empty out with a lot of velocity. Both work well, but you don't want to stand to the side of a Ranch Rifle's ejection point. (Or the ejection port of any gun - but especially those with a bumper ejector.)

The Ranch series is easily distinguished from the others by its flip down rear sight atop the receiver while the standard Mini-14s have an adjustable rear sight enclosed in the rear of the receiver.

(For more information about the variants of the Mini-14, readers are directed to my book, The Mini-14: Plinker Hunter, Assault, and Everything Else Rifle, available from Paladin Press for $19.)

Back to the Table of Contents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Now thats interesting. I have noted some mini's like mine throwing brass up to 60 ft, while others seem to plop them down, about 10 ft. I have recommended the Gas port bushing kit to others as I used it to tame the ejection, and damaged brass as it worked on my Ranch. Now it also slowed down the reaward movement of the slide rod/bolt, so felt recoil was greatly reduced.

Now the question I have to regular mini owners, have any of you installed the Gas port bushing kit, if so did you notice much difference in brass ejection, and damage?

I will e-mail Mike Knifong to see what he says. Hey Mike you out there? Ok I just sent him an e-mail with this link.

· Registered
60 Posts
Gang,
Interesting question. Personally I don't think it will make a differance. Case ejection in a "non-180" rifle (wether its a std model or ranch makes no differance) is determined by the force of case on the ejector tab. The faster the bolt is going the farther the cases fly.
I've worked on a few early std model Mini's and I can't say I really recall the ejectors being differant than the current mini's. I do recall the ranch models had the ejection pattern changed from a straight up pattern to more of a side ejection pattern to prevent the cases from hitting the scope.
I can say that the gas port kit helps tame case ejection on all the fixed ejector style Mini's. But I doubt it will make much differance on 180's w/ their plunger style ejectors.
The good news is the kit comes w/ a money back guarentee. If it doesn't work I'll give you your money back. But even if it doesn't reduce case ejection, it will reduce op-rod/receiver battering which should be a good thing.
To be honest I don't even know if the gas ports in the 180's are the same as the 181+ series rifles. Since I don't have a 180 personally I'd have to get that info from a 180 owner prior to saying they are the same. I believe they are since I haven't read anything from Ruger saying they aren't. But I wouldn't assume it until I knew for sure.
Swordslinger, yes your scope mount is most likely slowing down the cases. My father has an old 181 or 182 std mini w/ the Leupold One peice mount drilled and tapped to the receiver. His Mini throws cases moderately (10-20ft) w/o any gas port alteration. I believe his has the fixed ejector before they mod'd it to a side eject. Confusing huh?
Hope this helps. If you'd like to give one a try email me directly and I'll send you one to try free if you'll send me your factory port to compare.
Mike in Oregon

· Registered
211 Posts
I was reading and was wondering if the ejector on a ranch can be "adjusted" by filing to get the brass to go where you want (kinda like tuning a 1911 ejector so the brass doesn't hit you in the face).

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Welcome to the forum klutz347. The mini ranch has the ejector tab on the side so as the case strikes it, the case is pivoted out the side. There is a groove just under the side of the bolt for the ejector tab to ride in (hopefully not ride on) the bolt. I would only file the tab if it rubed on the bolt, as filing more won't change the direction of strike.

I don't have a regular mini to look at, but I believe the ejector tab strikes case more near the bottom, I am assuming there is a ejector groove more near the bottom of the bolt?

Would one you regular mini owners enlighten us on your ejector set up?

· Registered
211 Posts
Thanks Cajun,

I was wondering about the "tuning" thing because of the brass flies over to the next county when I shoot.

I have been reading about Mike Knifong's gas port kit. Does he have a site or a phone # to see about one?

Thanks for any and all help, I think I will be spending alot of time here.

Thanks again.

· Registered
9,633 Posts
Hey klutz347. You might want to ask Mike about his combo deal. If you get the bushing kit, he will do a trigger job for another 25 bucks. It normally cost $40 for trigger job alone. Mine came out a smooth 3 1/2 lbs. This was his prices last year, don't know if its changed, ask for the info packet, it gives prices, and combo prices for all his services.

· Registered
57 Posts
I have a 180 series mini14 that throws the brass about 3 to 4 feet at 1:00 and 2:00. Very easy to pick up. My barrel looks like it might have had a bayo lug at one time. there is a recess around the barrel about six inches back from the front sight. Is there anyway to tell for sure if it was a GB when it left the factory.. Mine was made in 1976 **** Dawg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.