Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 2013 blued steel Mini 14 (582). I was taking some photos of the new Ruger rail today and noticed some strange marks on my slide handle in the photos. It seems like it might be corrosion. I clean and oil my rifle regularly and apply oil to the exposed steel from time to time as I live about a mile from the Pacific Ocean in the San Francisco peninsula.

So, is this corrosion? If so, what can I do to deal with it and prevent further occurrences. I'm on the waiting list for a stainless steel Mini, but I'd like to keep this one in good shape.

Thanks,
T

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oh my God, that IS corrosion. Your gun is destroyed! You need to sell it to me for $200, no with that much corrosion, $100 tops. Sell it to me before it is totally gone!!!!!!!! Oh, and you pay shipping too?

·
Banned
7,947 Posts
Texan,

It's probably coming from the dissimilar metals between your recently added Ruger scope mount and the receiver. Send me the scope mount and I'll mount it on my SS Mini 14 and I'll let you know how it works out.:lol::lol:

GO

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My Mini has the same markings, but maybe 1/8" further forward.

I, too, freaked out when I first saw it. Fortunately, mine is stainless, so light scrubbing with fine steel wool take it right off.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The average Mini 14 mauls brass as the case makes impact twice as it's ejected. The neck will often be flattened and the body will receive a dimple. Before I went to the ASI gas block, I used to lay a towel over the rifle to prevent such.They make a brass catcher for it if you desire, that should stop the bulk of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.