Perfect Union banner

what is most favored gun?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired new mini 14 SN 180 07188 i was wandering if there was a way to find out what number made it would be and is true value. Its in great condition 8-9 out of 10 has after market scope mount and scope both look as old as Mini 14. 1st gen attachments. all wood stock no scratches looks like original new leather shoulder strap, or its just home made. only part missing is rear site due to scope mount. While field stripping my Mini 14 i realized it looked to be original grease and white lube. looks like its hardly been fired. i removed all old lube and cleaned and reassembled. i haven't fired yet due to its old and super clean figured i would find as much info as possible first. so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Also wanted to ask if not worth much whats the best conversion i can do with first gen Mini 14. Thank You

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
I recently acquired new mini 14 SN 180 07188 i was wandering if there was a way to find out what number made it would be and is true value. Its in great condition 8-9 out of 10 has after market scope mount and scope both look as old as Mini 14. 1st gen attachments. all wood stock no scratches looks like original new leather shoulder strap, or its just home made. only part missing is rear site due to scope mount. While field stripping my Mini 14 i realized it looked to be original grease and white lube. looks like its hardly been fired. i removed all old lube and cleaned and reassembled. i haven't fired yet due to its old and super clean figured i would find as much info as possible first. so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.
Also wanted to ask if not worth much whats the best conversion i can do with first gen Mini 14. Thank You
By the serial number, its not one of the first 1000.

Honestly, sell the gun to someone looking for a 180 series and buy a newer gun. Ruger doesnt service that gun and a lot of parts dont interchange with 181+ guns

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already have newer models and there are still a decent amount of parts for the 180's just wanted to know what up grades where available everyone says sell the 180s even if i did its still has retail value. to be honest i think everyone says sell hoping to buy cheap mini 14 which i dont think there is any cheap ones 180's still get 500+ out of them on all the auctions. maybe i will trade for something else or give tom my 12 year old son lol. well at least i can go shoot it know that i know its just average retail. but then again the fact that there's not much out there for them is just going to make it more vailiable in working condition for collectors one day. what to do? what to do? guess just wait for more opinions. thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looking at the front site and just by serial number, it is not among the first produced.

The first production run - sometimes called "Southport" Minis - had a more Garand-style rear site and a gold-bead front site that looked very much like what comes on a 10/22. The stocks were real walnut, too.

Yours by the Ruger web site was made in 1975. 5000+ were made in the first year (1974), and the 180-series was replaced with the upgraded 181-series in 1978.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Looking at the front site and just by serial number, it is not among the first produced.

The first production run - sometimes called "Southport" Minis - had a more Garand-style rear site and a gold-bead front site that looked very much like what comes on a 10/22. The stocks were real walnut, too.

Yours by the Ruger web site was made in 1975. 5000+ were made in the first year (1974), and the 180-series was replaced with the upgraded 181-series in 1978.
For posterity's sake, HERE is the link to that information. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just figured I would ask I've been to the site already but just wandering like on the site it says blocks where made earlier then the number. Wandering if there was a way to tell for sure. No big deal it is still older then most I've seen The fact I have zero after 180 digits. And it's in decent shape the more and more I read there isn't much I can't convert it to with a couple mods. Most don't need any. Thanks for all the info maybe 20 years be worth a lot more then just market value. Lol still at least I can go shoot it without any guilt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
180 series

I own a 1976 180 series "Liberty" gun. And I own a 581 Tactical.
I think the 180 series is the best looking Mini of all. Keep the 180 and be proud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts