Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 581 series stainless mini 14 that has maybe a few hundred rounds through it. Where the bolt pushes the hammer back I've noticed a rolling of the metal on the bottom of the bolt. My questions are; is this normal, is it ok or do i need to polish or reform the metal to fit where it hits the bolt. I'm a novice gunsmith but a quilified mechanic so I'm not afraid of the work but I'm not a fan of extra work. At the very least I would like to knock off the burr.

Thanks all in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
All my Mini-14's have the same wear marks. Except my original 180 series from 1976.
I think my 180 series bolt is a much harder steel and does not show the same wear marks even with too many rounds to count through it.. Maybe machined. Anyhow the marks you show are normal?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Both my 580 Mini-14s have done this - one blue, the other stainless. I used a file to remove the raised burrs and called it good. I am hoping that the bolt shape will change to the point where this no longer happens and that some work hardening takes place.

It does suggest the bolt is soft, or that the contact area is a little too small for the load.

I would be concerned if the burrs grew to the point of jamming the firing pin or looked like they might break off and cause a jam.

I put a dab of grease in this area of the bolt to help the parts smooth rather than chew each other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had a new stainless 581 that had the same wear, same place. Sent it back to Ruger. The receipt that came back said the bolt had been polished by their gunsmith but it was normal wear and not an issue. Didn't like that so I sold the rifle.

Found a new stainless 580 a few months ago. Several hundred rounds and there is no wear to the bolt. Different heat treat lots..???

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I take some metal polish paste on a felt wheel mounted on a Dremel and hit all those slide areas. Makes the action nice and smooth. I even do it to the feed lips on mags.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I checked my 37 year old original 180 series bolt last night against my 581 series bolt.
The 581 shows pretty good wear marks and the 180 series hardly shows any wear. I've fired thousands of rounds out of the 180 series over these 37 years and less than a thousand out of the 581. The 180 series has a roller lug and the 180 bolt seems much more machined and better made.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey, SMAJ

How come we always have an I.G. inspection after an alert? We get our trucks filthy. We get all our gear dirty. We get our rifles dirty shooting blanks at fixed wing aircraft. The NCO's have a spare set of gear at home that Momma keeps clean just for inspections. We can't afford to go to the Quartermaster store and buy all this sh!t just for inspections. Please tell the light colonel at batallion that we'd like a little notice!

fishslayerbob

P.S. I love the S.O.S. at the mess hall. Tell Millhouse I said so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.