Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
They will kill a cheap scope pretty fast. There have been a few pretty spendy good quality scopes killed by them also

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think you can minimize scope failure by adjusting the gas port size so that your brass doesn't exit the weapon and go into orbit. On my 581 mini my brass easily went 30 to 40ft into the woods. I reduced the gas port to about .045 and now my brass goes about 8 to 10 ft and I can actually find it. The .080 gas port just pounded the weapon unnecessarily. With the reduced gas port it's a much more pleasant weapon to shoot which is a bonus for the wife.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Get some buffers like 1911 style or make your own. I made mine from vacuum cleaner belt and punched a hole in it with a 9mm case, I placed it over the piston in the gas block and against the receiver.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had a scope and red dot that were at the lower end of the scale from a major manufacture . destroyed them both . installed a buffer and used a couple of better quality scopes I have laying around and it made all the difference in the world . the bottom line is dont expect the 50.00 centerpoint red dot or tasco 3x9 to last long on a mini.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Hi everyone;

Don't know if it made a difference, but I went with a fixed 4x shotgun scope on one of my minis, and installed a buffer (which I had to thin A LOT before it worked right). It's had many thousands pounded through it with no problem.

All the best,
Grumpy

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use the rear buffer, Wilson 1911 or otherwise.

My Weaver Classic V 1-3x has had no issues in 400 or so rounds. Its often used for heavy recoil dangerous game rifles, but I don't know if that necessarily helps with the mini's bang-clank-clank shaking of the receiver. Still though, not a problem yet.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have to reset the scope after your install the buffers and gas bushing? I really like the Leupold that came on my mini. I don't want to break it even if they will warranty it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
1911 buffers front and rear and they sure calm the rifle down a lot. I had over a thousand rounds on a Gamo 3x9 Air Rifle scope that out lived the air rifle and is still in one piece. Original gas port bushing. Start with the buffers and see how much smoother the gun shoots. Not a big deal to have to adjust the scope a little.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Do these buffers wear out or are they more along the lines of "set and forget"?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How thick is a recoil buffer. I have some belt that is used on a hay roller. It is .150 thick. It is very tough but still spongy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Set and Inspect at first. Some guns seem to beat them to death. Mine has been real easy on them but I don't do a lot of Mag dumps either. 581 Series 18.5'' Mini 14 Ranch Rifle SS

·
Registered
230 Posts
I use Burris scopes exclusively on my Mini-30 and Mini-14. They are tough enough for pellet rifles. I will let y'all know if they ever fail.

M

·
Registered
204 Posts
Like glenwatkins, mine has been very easy on my Wilson buffer, but I only have one on the rear. It only has some light 'dents' in it after a few hundred rounds, and looks like it will hold up for another thousand. Even if it doesn't, I have five more from the pack of six I bought so for $10 its basically a non-expense for the life of the rifle.

I did not notice a change in point of impact with my scope, just less erratic groups. I really think the Weaver Classic V scopes are great, they've never shifted POI on me, and re-sighting in seems to be spot on. They're clear out to the edges and the fine crosshairs at 3x are good enough for precise paper punching at 50 yards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I got a chance to try out my DIY buffers yesterday when a friend of mine came over to shoot. I had to adjust the leupold some but it shot great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no buffers and I'm running a 2-7x32 Nikon pro staff, I have somewhere close to 500 rounds through my mini with that scope and I've had zero problems.

·
AC-556 Owner
740 Posts
Its not the recoil of the gun that kills scopes. Its the oprod going forward hitting the gas block that is ROUGH on a scope.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts