Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was given a mini 14 from my uncle its a 183 series I know its older 1983 made. It has a massive front blade sight but not much of a rear. he had no mag with it. but it came with a metal scope/sight mount that screws into the gap behind the receiver.

Now my questions are does it matter what mags i buy for it as long as mini14?
What are some good stocks kits I seen a archangel and really like it. Would it fit on mine?
I have lot of 5.56 ball ammo (whats written on the side of the ammo can that came with it) is it safe? A acquaintance said it was Safe but i don't know how reliable his info is.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Does the rear sight fold down? And if it does, it should have two sets of little scallops on the top of the receiver (in front of the front sight) for the mounting of Ruger scope rings. If so, it's a Ranch Rifle.

Any Mini-14 magazine will fit, but the factory Mini-14 magazines are the only ones that I trust completely.

You can safely shoot .223 or 5.56 through the rifle, regardless of whether it's a Mini-14 or Ranch Rifle.

A photo would sure help with ID...

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
To add to Bravens input -
if the ammo has been stored properly, and is a 5.56 factory load it should fine to use. but they must be properly stored factory loads (not some hand loads someone gave you... never shoot someone else's hand loads unless you absolutely, positively, KNOW that the person who made them knows what the hell they are doing... and even then, use at your own risk)

if your rifle is an early ranch model, this is what the heel of the receiver and rear sight would look like (note the "flip up sight" and the scope mount cut in the receiver - the little "half moon" thingy machined into the receiver in front of the sight

if your rifle is configured like the one above, then you can put it in a Sparta.

now, if your rifle's reciver heel and rear sight assembly looks like this:

then it is a standard Mini 14 or a mini 14 GB. (NOTE!!! the photo is of a 180 series.. which is really different -note the extended receiver and bolt release mechanism, but - the rear sight assembly is the same as the 181 and newer non ranch guns) and cannot be installed in a sparta (however there MAY be a way to do it, there was some discussion about it... but none of us had the balls to buy a 200 dollar stock and possibly ruin it... so it's just a theory.)
it CAN however be installed in a TROY MCS, Tapco, ATI, Houge, Choate, or Clyde Armory SCAR.

mags, any Mini 14 mag (should work) but, as Braven says... factory is the only sure bet - the others may or may not work... or work after tweaking.
this being said, my 185 series GB runs fine with the Taco gen 1s and gen 2s I have, after some breaking in.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The new Hogue overmolded stocks are an excellent choice for the Mini-14 & Mini-30...a good snug fit. As for the magazines, as others have noted, Ruger factory mags are the most reliable, but hard to find in stock right now. I've had success with Thermold mags as well...;)

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
The 183 series is too early to be a ranch rifle, those I believe started with the 187 prefix. You have a standard mini 14.

The factory 5, 20 and 30 round mags seem to work best, especially with the older minis. The new factory 10 rnd mags seem to fit too tight in the older (Pre 580 series) minis. I have had great success with the CDNN 10 rnd high quality mags. PMI, Fed Ord and ramline high cap magazines also seem to work well on the older standard mini 14's such as yours.

The Ruger manual for the mini 14 states that either .223 rem or 5.56 nato rounds will work in the mini 14. The mini 14 has a 5.56 nato chamber (Except the target variation which is .223 only).

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I double checked with Ruger just to make sure that you can use either .223 or 5.56 in the Mini-14's, and they said definitely both. I just wanted to hear it right from the manufacturer, to be extra safe!

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
I double checked with Ruger just to make sure that you can use either .223 or 5.56 in the Mini-14's, and they said definitely both. I just wanted to hear it right from the manufacturer, to be extra safe!
do you not have a copy of the manual?
it's in there Under "ammunition". below is a link to the manual for the serial number range for your 183 rifle

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini14-181-186.pdf

save this in a file on your desk top and keep it handy,
I'd also print a copy of it and store it close to where you store the rifle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help, Its got the sight like the bottom except the two side screws are gone and the actual sight piece is not there apparently. I was sort of confused by it. Ill get pictures posted just to be sure of what I am missing.

**Pictures added*** I found a Magazine but I don't know the brand they guy sold it to me for 5 dollars. its 20rnd I believe and just has MINI-14 stamped into the bottom. I figured at that price if it is a piece of crap I can toss it with little loss

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mr. Snuffalupagus I seen a pictured of one of your guns on a different thread about the archangel, its OD green, what stock style is on that and would it fit on a mini like mine?

KingANuthin I was really wanting to put a red dot that I have lying around on it what should I go with for rails or am I really limited to that style of sight?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Mr. Snuffalupagus I seen a pictured of one of your guns on a different thread about the archangel, its OD green, what stock style is on that and would it fit on a mini like mine?

KingANuthin I was really wanting to put a red dot that I have lying around on it what should I go with for rails or am I really limited to that style of sight?
the rifle in question is a Mini 14 GB 185 series, in a Troy Industries MCS
so yes, your rifle would fit in my stock.
you'd need to remove the rear sight assembly... but since yours is missing no worries there.

The stock isn't a "stock" in the traditional sense - it's an Aluminum Chassis that allows you to use AR 15 pistol grips, buttstocks, etc.
more on it here: Troy MINI-14® MCS Rifle Chassis ONLY|Merchandise|Upgrades|Troy Industries| | Mini-14 MCS Upgrades

they are NOT cheap...

if you look around you can find one for a deal... but unless you buy the full system (which comes with a buttstock, buffer tube, pistol grip, BUIS, and sling endplate adaptor) you'll also need to buy those things as well.

the option to mount a red dot is fairly limited - however you could go with a scout mount like the ultimak or amega ranges mount (they replace your rifles heat shield) since red dots are unlimited eye relief, it works well. it's a popular setup for guys that want to avoid the "black rifle look" you rig would look similar to this:

(this rifle belongs to someone here... just can't remember who)

another option is a micro red dot (like a burris fastfire or similarly sized equivalent) on one of these:
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...es/no-drill-no-tap-scope-mount-prod12461.aspx

specifically part number 794-000-002WB

you may (key word "MAY") be able to get a vortex strikefire style red dot tube optic to work in this as well... but then again it might get beat up by brass.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for the help, Its got the sight like the bottom except the two side screws are gone and the actual sight piece is not there apparently. I was sort of confused by it. Ill get pictures posted just to be sure of what I am missing.

**Pictures added*** I found a Magazine but I don't know the brand they guy sold it to me for 5 dollars. its 20rnd I believe and just has MINI-14 stamped into the bottom. I figured at that price if it is a piece of crap I can toss it with little loss
I actually have a couple of rear sight's that I bought for my 185 Series Mini. One is new and the other is like new. I'd be interested in your scope rail if you'd like to do some bartering for it, if its not going to be used?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mr Snuffalupagus,

I see your comment above about Serial #185 fitting in the Troy MCS system. I was wondering if you knew if Serial #186 would also fit? I ordered the Archangel Sparta then read that the 186 wont fit. Not sure about the actual fit but I believe it has to do more with the upward ejection. Would the upward ejection be a concern on the Troy MCS? I have also read that I could send the rifle back to Ruger and have them install the ranch rifle bolt and ejector. I will contact them tomorrow to find out for sure. Thanks for any additional information you could provide.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Mr Snuffalupagus,

I see your comment above about Serial #185 fitting in the Troy MCS system. I was wondering if you knew if Serial #186 would also fit? I ordered the Archangel Sparta then read that the 186 wont fit. Not sure about the actual fit but I believe it has to do more with the upward ejection. Would the upward ejection be a concern on the Troy MCS? I have also read that I could send the rifle back to Ruger and have them install the ranch rifle bolt and ejector. I will contact them tomorrow to find out for sure. Thanks for any additional information you could provide.
it's the actual fit... unless you do some machine work to the top half of the sparta it will not fit... and then when you do, the higher ejection angle of the 181+ series guns can cause an issue.

the Troy on the other hand will take a 181+ action (if you take the rear sight off) and since the shape of the underside of the rail section over the ejection port acts as a brass deflector it shoots just fine.

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Thanks. That's what I needed to know. I'll be sending the Sparta back
not sure if this made it to the PU or not... but this pic at the bottom illustrates what the issue is. further machining was needed...

however I have seen on the net, an AC556 that was successfully installed in a modified sparta (however the rifle in question did have some recoil mods done to it, video confirmed it was ejecting to the 3 O'clock position. prior to sparta mod and install)

the AC556 is here: you can see he took the rail side quite a ways back:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.