Perfect Union banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont have the rifle yet, but I figure since Im doing alot of research on the gun Id ask the question I havent had answered through a google search. My 30 is a 581-5xxxx if that helps. Thanks yall!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Retooled as in with the tapered barrel? If so, yes it is.

·
Libertarian
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I found out the .310 was on earlier then 580 models so this is even better news! Still plan on getting a strut, but at least I know my mini should be top notch when it gets here. Thanks

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
My 581-04xxx series mini 30 has a .620 thick barrel but it is not tapered and it has the tri-lobe front sight. Do I have some sort of a franken mini?

·
Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
My 581-04xxx series mini 30 has a .620 thick barrel but it is not tapered and it has the tri-lobe front sight. Do I have some sort of a franken mini?
no,

some of the first run 581 30s and 14s went out with untapered barrels.

·
American realist
316 Posts
no,

the late 580/early 581 must have been mixmasters. i have a late 580 14 with the tapered barrel. must have been a "put it together with whatever" period.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have a 580 with the pencil barrel Mini 14. My guess is they were using up the last of the skinny barrels before going to the taper barrel. I'm sure that's true of the Mini 30. The 580 series could be either barrel. kwg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Guys, at what point (time frame and serial number sequence) were the thin pencil barrels transitioned to the heavier barrel on the Mini 30 ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Is it stainless or blued?

·
Erin go Braugh
157 Posts
Ruger said....LOL

no,

Had the same questions on one we bought. I thought they were supposed to be tapered too? After a quick call to Ruger they said that it was the non tapered barrel with the protected sight. I said yes. So he told us that it was early profile barrels that we used up, basically, and that the new design is the tapered but there are a lot of good non tapered barrels being used and installed, all of which have the new redesigned sights. Made sense not to throw out thousands of barrels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts