Perfect Union banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I was told that a good AR-10 lasts longer than an M-1A. The person who told me does a lot of shooting. He said that the M-1A is a little bit more accurate but that after so many, I think he said 10K rounds, it has to be completely re-worked or re-built. What says the group here? Any truth to the man's statements? :sniper:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Many of you younger guys have not had access to the NRA research into these things. There was a time that they were not so busy politically that they could do some gun testing. The American Rifleman was filled with reports such as this.

In the .308 round the military has extensive tests for barrel life and accuracy. From new the average barrel increases in accuracy up to the 8,000 round mark, remains stable until about 12,000 rounds and starts falling rapidly until almost useless at 16,000+-.

Componant parts of each firearm would be subject to military standards for the M14. They have breakage standards and reliability standards. The government testing would be more than 10K with accuracy expectations specified.

While the M14 passed the standards and was accepted as standard issue the AR10 did not and was never an issue weapon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts