Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add some grip tape to the butt plate on my wood stock to get a better "shoulder weld." You can buy sheets of it at Lowes for like $7. Is it all the same, or is some grip tape better than others?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I want to add some grip tape to the butt plate on my wood stock to get a better "shoulder weld." You can buy sheets of it at Lowes for like $7. Is it all the same, or is some grip tape better than others?
This is from a guy who skated most of his life. NO! All grip tape is not created equally. I remember shops having all types of crap thru the years. Cheap tape would rub down to nuthin quick. Some stuff was way too rough. As for your application, I think it would depend on what you want. The super rough stuff would tear the sh¡t outta your shirt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any skate shop will have it. It's usually $5 or so for a pretty good sized sheet (maybe 2 square feet). It is rough though, I'd say easily equivelent to 60 grit sandpaper or maybe even a little rougher.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What about spray on truck bedliner or a rubber textured spray paint?

I sure wouldn't want the equivilant of sand paper on my shoulder, but I see what you're getting after.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What about spray on truck bedliner or a rubber textured spray paint?

I sure wouldn't want the equivilant of sand paper on my shoulder, but I see what you're getting after.
I use it on pistol grips and support hand index positions mostly, although sometimes I will put a pattern of very thin strips on a synthetic long gun stock that isn't worth the effort to checker or stipple. I'll also use it on knife guards/grips to prevent forward slipping when field dressing or in very cold/wet weather etc. I like that it removes without a trace instead of being a permanent modification.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I use it on pistol grips and support hand index positions mostly, although sometimes I will put a pattern of very thin strips on a synthetic long gun stock that isn't worth the effort to checker or stipple. I'll also use it on knife guards/grips to prevent forward slipping when field dressing or in very cold/wet weather etc. I like that it removes without a trace instead of being a permanent modification.
You definately wanna check the tape out before buying it then.. Some grip will slice ur fingers up when its new.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two stocks in question, both Rugers with metal buttplates. The Mini 14 has a steel aftermarket buttplate with a dozen or so score marks on it, but not enough to cause any grip or friction on my shoulder. The other is a 10/22 with the old cast aluminum plate. Slicker than snot.

I really don't want grip tape. What I want is knurling to get it the same type of grip that the mold into the synthetic stocks. How would I go about that?

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Have you ever seen that plastidip stuff? Comes in a rattle can. Alotta guys are using it on their rims right now. I used it on the pump of a bubba'd shotgun i have. if you dont leave a edge to catch and lift off it may work out for you.

·
Registered
663 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.