Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and came up with a few threads where putting irons on a Target model was discussed. But no one posted about actually doing it. So has anyone done this yet? Did you have to drill and tap the receiver? Can any target model owners tell me if the Target has mounting hole for the rear site so I could put a Tech site on there?

I put a used target on layaway today at the local gun store but didn't think about mounting irons at the time. I'm planning on accurizing this as much as possible over the next few years and giving to my son when he is old enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Target is not set up for irons - front or rear. It only has scope ring mounts. Other than trigger work and setting the harmonic balancer to your load, there is no much to do Ruger claims 1 MOA out the box. I have a Nikon 4.5-14 BDC Buckmasters on mine. Best 3 rds. - 1.25" group - with cheap 55 gr FMJ. I have not touched the balancer yet.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Your better off using a rail and a dot site. The standard ranch rifles and shorter tactical minis would be a better iron site option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Target is not set up for irons - front or rear. It only has scope ring mounts. Other than trigger work and setting the harmonic balancer to your load, there is no much to do Ruger claims 1 MOA out the box. I have a Nikon 4.5-14 BDC Buckmasters on mine. Best 3 rds. - 1.25" group - with cheap 55 gr FMJ. I have not touched the balancer yet.
I know it's not set up for irons that why I'm asking about adding them. Does yours have the hole drilled in the receiver where the rear sight would be? I'm thinking of using a arms room gas block top front sight with a tech site rear. But I wanted to see if anyone had done it or come up with something better. The last thread I found posted about it was almost a year old and no one had posted that they had actually installed sights.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your better off using a rail and a dot site. The standard ranch rifles and shorter tactical minis would be a better iron site option.
If I was wanting it primarily as a iron sighted close range weapon I would agree. However I still intend to use a scope on it. I would like to have irons as a back up.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Like he said, they don't offer the iron site mount on target models, scope rings only. You would have to tap the receiver and custom mount the rear peep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like he said, they don't offer the iron site mount on target models, scope rings only. You would have to tap the receiver and custom mount the rear peep.
That's what I was wanting to know. Tapping the receiver is no biggie, although I imagine it is pretty darn hard on bits being stainless. Anybody every drill one?

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
It can be done, I don't know anyone that has one tho.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
If you tap the receiver my bet is Ruger will never do any work on the rifle if you should ever have a problem. It becomes yours come he!! or highwater. kwg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you tap the receiver my bet is Ruger will never do any work on the rifle if you should ever have a problem. It becomes yours come he!! or highwater. kwg
I plan on having gundoc shorten the barrel, thread and crown. So I imagine I'll be in that boat anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know it's not set up for irons that why I'm asking about adding them. Does yours have the hole drilled in the receiver where the rear sight would be? I'm thinking of using a arms room gas block top front sight with a tech site rear. But I wanted to see if anyone had done it or come up with something better. The last thread I found posted about it was almost a year old and no one had posted that they had actually installed sights.
No hole/tap... Mine appears to have a solid chunk of steel, cast into the receiver, where the recess for the rear sight would be. It would have to be machined to fit the Ruger sight. I compared the Target to several other 581 Ranch rifles. The is a bit of extra bulk that would have to be machined down for it to match the profile of the standard Ranch rifle. Then, you would have to tap the receiver. Sure it could be done but I don't think it's worth the trouble.... My Mini 14 Tactical groups as good, out the box, as my Target, out the box - with PMC 55gr. BTs. Just get a standard Ranch for irons. The Target is built for a specific purpose - bench shooting. For that purpose there is not much need for BUISs, IMO.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Call Williams and see what they have to offer. Their target rear sight is no problem but a front sight might be problematic.
Guido

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any thoughts on having a tech sight soldered onto the receiver? Seems like that would be pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Any thoughts on having a tech sight soldered onto the receiver? Seems like that would be pretty straight forward.
If I were set on irons, I'd have a good machinist mill down the extra steel on the rear of receiver and tap it. But, like someone else said, support from Ruger would likely be zip.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I were set on irons, I'd have a good machinist mill down the extra steel on the rear of receiver and tap it. But, like someone else said, support from Ruger would likely be zip.
Is there extra steel on the receiver of the target? I don't have a target and standard to compare side by side.

Merry Christmas by the way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is there extra steel on the receiver of the target? I don't have a target and standard to compare side by side.

Merry Christmas by the way.
Merry Christmas too!

Answering the question, yes. I have a 581 Ranch 14 and a 582 Ranch Thirty to compare to the Target. The Ranch rifles have a noticeable step down where the rear Ruger sight sits. The Target does not have the step down. I've not removed the sight so I don't know the extent of the difference. My 14 Tactical has a Nikon M223 1-4 scope mounted with the Ruger rings. It sits very close to the rear factory sight. So, I'd guess that mounting a sight to the rear of the Target, without some machining of the receiver, would cause interference between the scope and the sight. I'd also question whether the rear elevation could be adjusted enough if the rear sight is sitting too high ( but now I'm getting way past my limited experience). Just my observations and guesses....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never handled a Mo-Reaper, is there enough material to bore it to the correct diameter? Seem the front sight would be straightforward enough, but the lack of a rear perch is what dissuaded me from irons on my cut down Target. I just use a Primary Arms red dot on a rail when I feel like shooting w/o a scope, although I'd much prefer irons. I'll bet you could adapt an existing aperature style rear sight from another application, the problem is actually evaluating them in the flesh rather than guesswork online.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
If it does not work out and you decide to sell the gun, you didn't bubba gunsmith the value of the rifle.

He's already getting it cut and crowned. I don't think some quality irons properly affixed will hurt. The Target barrel has enough meat to machine a notch for a front sight, and obviously there is enought material on the receiver as well. And that's just if you insisted on aperture style adjustable sights. A front blade and express style rear would be dead simple. If GunDoc hadn't done such a nice duracoating job on mine I'd send it back to him in a second to have sights installed.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
I second on sending to Gundoc! He is known for many years of accurizing minis and a legend on this board. I have 2 of his triggers on 2 minis.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts