Perfect Union banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Be careful with the reinforcement brackets from ASI. They will not work in the 189 series curved butt plate stocks. They are thicker and the action will not fit in. I tried two of them. I have an extra mint 189 series wood stock with no bracket.

I believe they are for the new 580 series wood stocks. Probably different inletting in that series.

I just checked out Numrich. They list by series. I'd have to think that the reinforcement brackets listed for the 189 series will work. I ordered one up. Keep you all filled in.

Bepe

·
Formerly "raf"
3,318 Posts
Be careful with the reinforcement brackets from ASI. They will not work in the 189 series curved butt plate stocks. They are thicker and the action will not fit in. I tried two of them. I have an extra mint 189 series wood stock with no bracket.

I believe they are for the new 580 series wood stocks. Probably different inletting in that series.

I just checked out Numrich. They list by series. I'd have to think that the reinforcement brackets listed for the 189 series will work. I ordered one up. Keep you all filled in.

Bepe
That's kinda where I was going with my previous post. IIRC, some folks had some problems in getting Mini-30 stock reinforcements at some point in the past. I certainly might "mis-remember" things.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Picked up the new 584 series Mini-30 today. Changed firing pin to a .045 protrusion one from firingpins.com. I also installed a rear buffer, Choate handguard, and a Tech Sight 1" M1 sling. Not sure if I will pursue the wood stock option, as the stainless/poly combo is light and indestructible. I will probably stick with iron sights, though I picked up a Sig Romeo 5 with MOTACH motion on-off switch I had picked up for my Ruger PC9, that I may try on the factory rail.

I should be good to go. I have 4,000 round s assorted 7.62x39 (including 600 brass cased 125 OTM reloads), (11) of the Ruger factory 20s, a USA Mag 30, some assorted 10 rounders, and a four pocket, Rhodesian Fereday and Sons chest pouch rig that hold 8 of the Ruger 20s.

Pics to come.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Headed to the range to ring out the new 2021 584 series Mini-30 I just got. Lots of snow and ice, so probably 25 yard battle sight and function check. Also going to shoot my 1990 5.56 Ranch and Ruger PC9 carbine I also just got.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just an FYI on the wood stock vs. magazine fit.
I purchased a new wood stock that came with all of the hardware, for a 580 series Mini 14.
With minimal work with a wood rasp, file, sandpaper, and a touch up stain pen.
My 582 series Mini 30 dropped right in and the factory 20 round Ruger Mini 30 magazines fall free when the release is depressed.
I utilized the hardware that came with the Mini 14 stock from Midway USA, with no issues.
It is a minimal and extremely easy alteration, that virtually anyone can accomplish.
David

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just read Bepe's thread regarding the differences between the two caliber stock reinforcement brackets.
Not sure if there could one day be a problem, as the Mini 30 obviously has more steel than the Mini 14.
I've run quite a few rounds through mine without issue, but maybe some day.
Attached is a photo of the action mounted in the stock that I altered to accept the Mini 30 magazines.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually used a spare Mini-14 stock reinforcement and it seemed to work perfect. with the Mini-30 in the wood stock. I was surprised how little I had to do to make it fit
Ima are you bending the mini 14 reinforcement bracket or just removing wood from the stock to make it work with the mini 30?

·
Formerly "raf"
3,318 Posts
Sure, the AR and AK are better battle weapons, but the Mini-14 and Mini-30 are good rifles for their intended purpose. In a 1972 article, Jeff Cooper, Colonel, USMC retired coined the term "Ranch Gun" for the Mini-14. This gave rise to the later 1982 "Ranch Rifle" Version with scope mounting capability.

One thing I'll add is that the nicely-figured wood stock visible in Cooper's article looks nothing like typical Ruger OEM wooden stocks that I've seen, outside of "Dealer Special" stocks.

IMHO, Ruger wooden stocks seem to be made of decent hardwood, but are often ill-fitting, with adverse effects on accuracy.

Syn stocks may, or may not, be tight-fitting originally, but at least they are not at all likely to change dimensionally, due to heat and humidity, unlike most wooden stocks.

Because the syn stocks are highly resistant to dimensional changes due to heat/humidity, the syn stocks are almost always a better candidate for shimming/modification/bedding.

I understand that many folks prefer wood, and also the "look" and "feel" of wood.

I've re-habbed many wooden stocks, and so reduced the effects that changes of temperature, and changes of ambient humidity have on such wooden stocks.

Generally, modifying a wooden stock is a lengthy, and painstaking process, which may have slight/zero effects unless the properly-modified wooden stock is properly "bedded', whether by shims or by actual "bedding".

In my experience, full-on bedding a wooden Mini stock is a great deal of work, same as bedding an M1 Garand or M1A/M-14. I've done all versions, but It's a sure-fire hassle. YMMV.

My personal preference, nowadays (and YMMV), is to use syn stocks whenever possible, and modify the syn stocks to suit the rifle/shotgun actions..

It's certainly possible to modify wooden stocks to be much "tighter-fitting" than the OEM Ruger examples, but It seems to me a better expense of my time and effort to mod the syn stocks, if needed. Again, YMMV.

Paint the syn stocks an appropriate shade of Tan/Brown, if you like. Likely nobody, unless on close examination, will notice.

Regret being "wordy" but sometimes it's required.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Coopers gun was sent in 1971 or early 1972. It is an early 180 series, and was probably Walnut like the Ruger 10-22 and 44 Mag carbine stocks at that time. I still have my 1973 Ruger 10-22 with walnut, and I also had a 180 series Mini-14 (I got used around 1982/3), as well a Ruger 44 Magnum Carbine - both had walnut stocks, too. Current 10-22, Mini-14 and Mini-30 stocks are dense Birch, much like they used on WW2 M1 Carbines when walnut was a bit scarce in 1944.

Fitting the wood stock to the 584 Mini-30 to the 181 series did not take that much time. Nice snug fit, no shimming needed.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts