Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

This installation option may not work if the foreend thickness is thicker than the nutsert, people should first do a measurement to verify.

Not any new idea, but just another option to easily add a QD stud for either sling or bipod.

I use Harris #2 (http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB2.html) but reverse the installation as it is designed for. In fact, credit should go to Mickey3Gun and Rotten, their posts gave me the idea. The only different is that there is no grinding at all.

Gun is 580 Tactical with factory synthetic stock. Here's what I do :

1. drill a 5/16" hole thru the forend, then seat #2 with the nutcert thru the hole. It is a perfect fit and the top of the nutcert is actually flush with foreend.

2. When we attach the stud from the nutcert side, there is a small gap between the Harris washer and the stud. So I bought a black nylon washer from Ace to fill the gap. Result is perfect!

3. Trim the extra thread from stud with Dremel so that it is flush with the flange. Install the liner. Perfect fit.

It is so straight forward and perfect fitment, I am thinking of adding another #2 to the side of the foreend so that I can side-mount a sling :D

Have fun!

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
Your post motivated me to go install a qd stud on the port side of my wood stock, close to where the barrel and reciever meet.

I prefer the more traditional placement so I can use a hasty sling for long shots on foxes but choices are always good

·
Registered
181 Posts
NICE!

Looks very clean. :cool:

I really wanted to put the nut cert down as well but the Houge didn't look like it had enough thickness in that section of the stock for it. Glad to see it worked out so well for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well Done!

So if I understand correctly, you countersunk the stock to allow the nutsert portion of the adapter to drop into the remaining hole in the stock? (I choose the more conservative route to avoid any potential delamination between the fiberglass and the overmolded rubber.) Did you bed the adapter with epoxy into the stock as well? Couldn't tell bt the pic.'s.

It looks great! Congratulations

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No,I did not countersink the hole at all, I just drill a hole using a 5/16" bit, I gotta push the nutsert into it, it is indeed a tight fit.

I did not glue the adaptor with epoxy neither, coz the length / width of the flange is wider than the inside of the fore-end, i.e. the wall of the foreend will serve as the stopper. So even if it would start to get loose or move, it will only be quite limited, for the intended purpose (to use a bipod), I don't think it is critical.

To those of you who has Hogue stock will have more concern than those who are still on the factory synthetic stock, e.g. the wall thickness of the Hogue vs the nutsert, etc... I edited my original post to include the following sentence:

This installation option may not work if the foreend thickness is thicker than the nutsert, people should first do a measurement to verify.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Fantastic. Very similar to what I'm doing to a butler creek folder, but installing a picatinny rail instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.