Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I received my new Bushnell Trs-25 red dot sight, after returning the Bushnell Trophy 1x28mm red/green dot sight a few weeks ago.

The Trophy 1x28mm sight had just toooooo many problems(3 as I recall), so I wasnt willing to risk sending them back and forth til I got a good one, so I bought the TRS-25 instead.

Granted I have not shot with it yet, but this is my initial opinion......

When I first saw the "official advert pictures" of this sight, I thought it was going to be 2 times the size that it really is. It IS a small red dot, and it is probably aimed at competing with the Vortex Sparc($189), and the ridiculously, insanely, disgustingly expensive Aimpoint Micro which costs between $545 -$645!

The trs-25 seems very light, well built, it has very positive clicks in the brightness adjustment knob, so it would be difficult to accidentally turn it on or off or to accidentally switch it to a lower or higher brightness. The optics seem very clear and even. The dot is a bit square-ish, and there seems to be a streak of red that shoots of to the lower left about the same length as the diameter of the dot, but I noticed that when I look at it with my other eye, that the streak is on the opposite side, so maybe its my eye's fault and not the sight's. It can get very bright, and when it took it out in the sun to look through it, I had no difficulty seeing the dot, even on setting of 5-7, out of 11. In a darker setting, you'd barely need 2 or 3 probably.

There doesnt seem to be anything loose anywhere, and the coating seems of good quality. I set it on my front porch railing, and aimed it at a split rail fence post about 130 yards away, and the dot set on brightness level 5 looked to be about the same size as the horizontal post was thick, so about 4-5 inches in diameter was the dot at that range.

So far I like it, but time will tell, and shooting with it will be the real test.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bought the TRS 25 also for my High Point 995 Carbine. I did not have a lot of room to mount it on the existing rail. I was able to co-wittness my irons thru the tube. It has held up well and was a perfect fit for me. No complaints so far on my end................Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
NS
What are you going to mount it on and how? Over the receiver, scout mount or other? I was thinking about one for my mini on a scout mount, but i am not sure what the field of view would be like.

jpd

·
Registered
529 Posts
NS
What are you going to mount it on and how? Over the receiver, scout mount or other? I was thinking about one for my mini on a scout mount, but i am not sure what the field of view would be like.

jpd
From my experience mine is mounted like a scout mount. I have seen pictures of this red dot mounted on hand guns. Keep in mind that the mount is a weaver mount. The TRS 25 is very robust. It seems to hold up well to the pounding it receives............Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NS

jpd
Well thats another problematic story. I was going to buy the basic ATI Strikeforce stock for $89 or whatever it costs, but I discovered that it had polymer rails, and I wanted to mount my red dot onto the forward ATI rail, so I was worried that a polymer rail might flex and be inaccurate potentially. So I found the ATI Ultimate Professional version of the Strikeforce stock and bought it for $149. I bought it because it comes with an aluminum buffer tube and all aluminum rails(4).

So I install the new stock to my Ranch(187), and then I receive my first Bushnell 1x28mm red/green dot sight, and I mounted it onto that forward 7" rail. Well, It turns out I really dont like it mounted that far forward, and it also adds weight to the front end of the rifle, which I discovered makes it less "flickable" and that extra weight out front will cause your left arm to tire quicker if standing up and aiming with your left arm unsupported.

So, I decided I want to mount it right above the receiver, and so I will probably be buying the B-Square Picatinny rail adapter for my Ranch's scope mount area: 2-BSQ14507 - B-Square Mini-14 & Mini-30 Ranch Ruger to Weaver Adapter Black

I just dont think that the TRS-25 needs to be mounted any far forward than over the receiver. It is a small diameter sight, with only about 20-25mm diameter optic viewing area, so the further forward you mount it, the more difficult it might be for quick target acquisition since its so small. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Issue or Non issue?

I kept hearing and reading reviews about the TRS-25 where people kept saying that one of the lenses was mounted crooked.

Then I read where someone had written that the lens was mounted crooked on this sight for a reason that had something to do with the laser and the dot and the lens needing to be slightly crooked. I dont know if thats true or not.

Well, I wasnt sure which lens they were talking about, the front one or the rear one.

So I noticed on my new TRS-25, that sure enough, the front coated lens is crooked. it is mounted on an angle. It is not loose or anything, but it is crooked.

I'm assuming this isn't a problem, and I don't plan on returning it, but has anyone else noticed this, and is your lens crooked?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From my experience mine is mounted like a scout mount. I have seen pictures of this red dot mounted on hand guns. Keep in mind that the mount is a weaver mount. The TRS 25 is very robust. It seems to hold up well to the pounding it receives............Joe
I dont recognize that rifle.... What is it?

·
Registered
529 Posts
HighPoint 9mm carbine.........Joe

·
Phillies Phan
108 Posts
I kept hearing and reading reviews about the TRS-25 where people kept saying that one of the lenses was mounted crooked.

Then I read where someone had written that the lens was mounted crooked on this sight for a reason that had something to do with the laser and the dot and the lens needing to be slightly crooked. I dont know if thats true or not.

Well, I wasnt sure which lens they were talking about, the front one or the rear one.

So I noticed on my new TRS-25, that sure enough, the front coated lens is crooked. it is mounted on an angle. It is not loose or anything, but it is crooked.

I'm assuming this isn't a problem, and I don't plan on returning it, but has anyone else noticed this, and is your lens crooked?
I don't own one (yet!) but I read the exact same thing about the crooked lens and how it is made that way. No worries!

·
Registered
9 Posts
unfortunitly for me i am rolling with a 184 series stnd mdl. i have the b-square side mount, but, it seems like when i tighten it up it wants to cant to the left.:blink:

I'm thinking an amega scout is the answer to the mount issue and it brings the added barrel stiffening benifits.

looks like the burris fastfire may be the scout mount / red dot solution to the weight and quick dot acquisition problem.

JPD

·
Registered
48 Posts
The LED emitter on the TRS25 is mounted at about the 4-5 o'clock position, and needs to reflect off the front (objective) lens back to your eye. The objective is intentionally mounted so that it is approximately normal to the LED, but canted with respect to your eye. So the cant is not an assembly flaw, as some people (see the reviews on Amazon) have believed.

EDIT: for more info on red-dots in general, see the Reflex Sights section in this article: http://ultimak.com/UnderstandingE-sights.htm

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had a TRS-25 for about three years. They work well and are a good value. If you buy one, keep up with the exact part number you have which may not be in the manual. Bushnell apparently switches Chinese suppliers from time to time and the parts aren't interchangeable. I had the mounting cross bolt snap on mine at one point and Bushnell couldn't supply one that would go into the captive bolt hole becuase they'd changed OEM's and so they gave me a new unit even though it was out of warranty. I wasted a lot of time going round and round with them and I I should have just bought another red dot, since this it took 4 months to resolve.
When I first had the TRS-25, and it was under warranty, I lost one of the little turret cap covers. The couldn't supply one of those cause they didn't plan for that situation. They gave me a new unit because they couldn't sell me a spare cap.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
unfortunitly for me i am rolling with a 184 series stnd mdl. i have the b-square side mount, but, it seems like when i tighten it up it wants to cant to the left.:blink:

I'm thinking an amega scout is the answer to the mount issue and it brings the added barrel stiffening benifits.

looks like the burris fastfire may be the scout mount / red dot solution to the weight and quick dot acquisition problem.

JPD
The Burris Fastfire II was my other choice, and I may buy one in the future.

·
Registered
397 Posts
"The Burris Fastfire II was my other choice, and I may buy one in the future." Now your talking! I see that Burris also sells a mount for the FF that mounts right on one of the factory scope lugs. Sounds like a nice low clean setup. Any one got this setup?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"The Burris Fastfire II was my other choice, and I may buy one in the future." Now your talking! I see that Burris also sells a mount for the FF that mounts right on one of the factory scope lugs. Sounds like a nice low clean setup. Any one got this setup?
"Anything is better than 4 more years of Yobama" Now your talking!

I did see a mount that could be used for the Fastfire II that appeared to mount to the scope rings, and it wasnt a picatinny mount. It mounted the FF II forward on the mount, but I dont know if it was made by Burris. I think it could be used to mount other heads up red dot reflex type sights like the Burris(maybe?)

The Fastfire II is super light too. It weighs only 1.7 oz.

·
Full on Eco-Capitalist!!!
11,109 Posts
I have a fastfire I've used on a few pistols, and rifle, and it works well, but just does not seem robust. (Never have any issues, and it's never failed, just looks like a stout impact with a butterfly would destroy the optic.)

I'm currently looking at a mount for it on my FN5.7, or one of my .22LR pistols. (That might take a custom mount.)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have been looking for options on mounting and red dots since I got this mini in Dec. This is a mount made for a Ruger factory scope mount. It just goes on one of the mounts I think. It is a small plate the size of the FF. You guys think it would work ok?

Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics Bottom of the page.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts