Perfect Union banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Couple Of Quick Things ...

XM193 5.56 ammo. The X means that particular batch of ammo was not accepted by our US Government for government use. It does not particularly mean the ammo is bad. It does means that for any number of reasons, big, small, petty, whatever, that ammo was not accepted. I will not use the word rejected.

We also for years thought factory ammo was the best. We were wrong. Years ago we experienced problems with performance using factory ammo. Finally got to the point where we had to face our false assumptions that factory ammo could never cause concerns. It was. Overall case length was all over.

Our latest discovery was with factory .30 Carbine ammo. Under power. Again, over long cases. A bigger concern with the USGI M1 Carbine. A straight wall case. Ouch. Our solution to return to hand loading does not rest with fun or money saved, but for producing safe ammo. Higher precision. Yikes!

Hundreds of AR15 builds using fine factory ammo that wasn't.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Rejected May Be The Wrong Word ...

COSteve brought up some very good points and thank you. A particular lot of ammo may just be fine in normal conditions, but may not quite be right at extreme conditions, like minus 40F degrees. Or 125F. Other reasons may be too much discoloring on the annealing around the bullet. Too much visible primer sealant, or too little.

Like already said, slightly irregular mixes in the brass or bullets. Crazy silly little differences in the powder used. Soss ... the X means the ammo was not accepted by our USA government. It does not necessarily mean the ammo is dangerous. Remember most ammo folks pay a ton in product liability insurance. It has to be safe.

Some rifle platforms seem not to care that much about ammo. The AK is one. The M16 is kinda another. The AR15 platform with in-spec chambers will tolerate some excessive head space. If a case failed on me like shown, first thing I would do is determine exact head space. If it happens again, cast your chamber for a good look see.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.