Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a post about field stripping a gunsmithed sub-MOA mini and losing accuracy after the rifle is put back together.

Can anybody give any feedback regarding this?

I want a factory Mini that is at least 2MOA TILL THE BARREL IS SHOT OUT. Is this a realistic expectation?

401 Posts
I have field stripped both of my Mini-14's dozens of times with no affect on accuracy.

Some folks are pretty rough on their firearms when they "field strip" so sure some gorilla, macho, cheese for brains, ninja type could affect their accuracy when they "field strip." Some folks don't know how to treat a piece of machinery.

If you are buying a used Mini then try to find one of the newer ones with the new tapered barrel.

If you are buying a brand new one then I am sure it will meet your expectations.

· communism hater
3,917 Posts
Two moa is easily doable with a mini-14. Mine was shooting groups like that right out of the box. With some inexpensive mods it shoots better than that. Ive broken mine down dozens of times to clean and never lost my accuracy. Ive actually never even heard of that happening so I question what you read and who wrote it.

· Registered
377 Posts
I've done more than fieldstrip my Mini's (14's and 30's), and after I put them back together they were still putting the bullets where I wanted them to go in nice tight groups. Even whem I was using scopes and Holos with QD's I could change them and still return to zero. The target is one that I shot awhile back to zero in the Mini 14 the one next to is is what it does now with 100 rds at 100 yds and it was a little breesy that day.

Attachments

· Registered
3,462 Posts
I have read a post about field stripping a gunsmithed sub-MOA mini and losing accuracy after the rifle is put back together.

I want a factory Mini that is at least 2MOA TILL THE BARREL IS SHOT OUT. Is this a realistic expectation?
With the new Mini's you will probably get this. I can see no reason why you can't get repeatable accuracy just by taking it apart to clean it. The only issue I can see is excessive copper build up on the inside of the barrel. I like to clean mine with Brasso to help strip out the copper and shine the inside of the barrel. Other folks have other ways of cleaning their barrels. This is mine. kwg

· Registered
666 Posts
Do you see a change in zero when you field strip & clean? I pretty much just do bore snakes. When it is dialed in, I want it to stay dialed in so I don't want to knock it apart unless it is needed.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
Cleaning, even striping the firearm should not affect your accuracy unless you take apart the gas block....which you shouldn't really do anyway unless it is necessary for heavy maintenance.

The 580+ series has shown to be a good platform capable of 2moa. I did a little work on mine (all at home) and have gotten it down to 1-1.25 if I run hand loaded ammo.

· Registered
546 Posts

Where this info comes from is for tightly bedded match rifles - generally M1 Garand or M1A/M14 rifles. We never took our rifles apart during the match season as to do so would result in a loss of POI for anywhere from several shots to as many as 20 or even more. Remember - this is shooting at 200, 300 and 600 (Puuloa USMC) yards - (500 if we were lucky - K-Bay USMC). Anytime a tightly bedded rifle is taken down it loosens the bedding a tiny bit. Might not be noticeable at 100 yards but at the distances we shot at it could turn a match capable rifle into an also ran. We never picked up our matched tuned Garands by the barrel - it could affect the POI or accuracy and bedding. My Garand would do 1.5" at 100 yards. My M1A shot a little bit better but I preferred the Garand as I could get into a good low-prone with it. (I was much skinnier then...:lol:).

As for issue Garands - remember that the US military acceptance standard was 4" groups at 100 yards. Majority of issue Garands will do better with decent ammo.

The ARs currently rule the matches - the spaceguns used by some are amazing. I don't compete now - eyes are going and not enough time.

YMMV

· Registered
8,794 Posts
accuracy mods on a Mini should include shimming/bedding the receiver to stock and bedding the gas block to foreend.
after breaking the rifle down it's important to reassemble carefully.
I was surprised at the group tightening I realized by bedding the block and shimming the receiver of my M30

· Registered
666 Posts
Marlin,
How did you bed the block? I've been trying to get a clear set of instructions for about 6 months as to how to do it on a mini-14. I have a 582 SS all weather ranch rifle.

Reactions: Marlin 45 carbine

· Registered
8,794 Posts
check the stickys on top. some time back (years actually) cajungeo and me both listed instructions for how we did it, basically the same thing. it involves pulling the 'u' shaped fore end liner off, fastening the liner to the stock with screws and useing hi-temp JBweld as a bedding agent. not really difficult but time consuming.
I used copper sheet to shim the receiver instead of bedding as geo recommends - my thinking is that the bedding will wear vs the copper which won't.
have'nt seen geo post anything for some time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.