Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
It's fun to shoot at propane torch bottles, makes a huge firecloud!!!
AU2

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
I've shot a lot of tracers in the USMC. It is way cool to see at night, but they start fires very easily!!!

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Sorry Blitzcell, I had to move this thread to general chit chat, in order to help keep the forums organized.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
It's fun ammo to shoot but, Tracing Incendiary ammo is just one step better as far as visual effects. The stuff can get expensive and some that I've seen is not all it's cracked up to be. I've always stuck with the military loads. A friend purchased some from a place called "Firequest" and some of the loads were light, some didn't ignite, possibly a bad batch or something. He's still dealing with them to resolve the issue.

:sniper:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If I remember correctly, tracers are lit by a "fuse" in the end of the bullet when the powder burns and incendiaries ignite on impact.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
On active duty when things were slow I took apart a few tracer rounds. They were 50cal but I imagine they are all similar. In the back of the bullet was a pocket with a thin copper seal almost like copper foil covering the tracer material. We would scrape that away and but the bullet nose in the dirt, then light it with a match the tracer material wold burn and spark like a roman candle. The tracer rounds are longer then regular ball ammo.

We are told that tracers are always a little higher in flight then ball rounds since they are lighter. Also remember the standard US pattern is 1 tracer 4 ball. Another fun thing to do on night engagements is to link extra tracers on the front of the belt so it's all tracer for the first 30 or so rounds. A sold stream of tracer looks very impressive to the tower. :D

TC:cannon: :trooper:

G

·
While on active duty, I spent about 2 years as a SAW gunner. IF you've been out for awhile, the SAW is a Squad Automatic Weapon, and is smaller and lighter than a .30 cal. It is a 5.56mm like the M-16, and will accept M-16 rounds in a pinch. Rounds made for the SAW have more powder than standard M-16 rounds, though.

SAW rounds come in belts of 200, contained in a small plastic box that hooks to the bottom of the rifle. The belt comes out of a slot, and it loads like the .30, but you can only see about 5 rounds between the opening on the box and on the weapon.

When given tracers, I used to put 5-10 together just before my last 20 rounds. It gave me a great indicator of when it was about time to swap boxes.

http://www.allpurposeammo.com/ formerly www.funammo.com offers a pretty wide rango of pyrotechnic shells. I've always wanted to see the dragon breath round, but I figure it can't be good on the firearm.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Dragon's Breath rounds are quite impressive. As far as what damage is done to the weapon I'm not sure. I have an old beat-up 12 gauge that we shot a few through. Cleaned it right after and it didn't look any worse. The only problem was that we had to take a 5 gallon bucket of water down to put out the fire in the field. When the projectile hit it was still burning. Scared the [email protected]*t out of the cows.:D At night they even more impressive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts