Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one tried imr 4064 with hornady 60gr. v-max? i can't find any info, but i'm going to figure 25.5grs. max. this is one of the few bullets i can't find a load for useing 4064. 60gr. v-max will shoot2'' with blc-2, but i want to play with 4064. gun shows are starting up and i'm hoping to find a bulk deal. i'll take what ever input anyone can give. thanks! stoney:usa: :confused: :sniper:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by stoney shipp
any one tried imr 4064 with hornady 60gr. v-max? i can't find any info, but i'm going to figure 25.5grs. max. this is one of the few bullets i can't find a load for useing 4064. 60gr. v-max will shoot2'' with blc-2, but i want to play with 4064. gun shows are starting up and i'm hoping to find a bulk deal. i'll take what ever input anyone can give. thanks! stoney:usa: :confused: :sniper:
for got to mention .223 mini-14:confused:

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Wouldn't 25.5 grains be a compressed load? For what it's worth.....24.3 grains of AA 2460, Accurate powder, with a Mag primer will produce better results. The rifle is the true test. Find out what it likes the best and go with that. 4064 is a single-base cylindrical powder that is pretty universal. AA2460 is a double-base ball powder more geared toward 308 and 223.

Take this for what it's worth.

:sniper:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use it in an 8x57 mauser. Seems a little slow for a .223. One of the best loads for a .223 for me has been H335/25gr. CCI Mag. Primer with a 62 gr FMJBTSC from IMI. I have recently been experimenting and working up a load for a .223 with 26gr of VARGET and CCI Benchrest Primers in a MINI-14 w/60gr Nosler Part., Hornady HP's, Barnaul (russian) FMJ 62gr., and the 62gr. FMJBTSC from IMI. All seem to shoot to the same point of impact with the Hornady's more accurate. At 1.5in at 100yds. in a mini-14 I'll be satisfied, but continue to work on accuracy.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
KING, I'd like to know the results of your experiment. I've always been shy of the Russian ammo in the 223. Bill explained something that I never thought about. The 223 round is conical shaped as compared to say the 7.62x39, more of a tapered case. With the sealant and stuff it may cause extraction problems and the mess from the goop it leaves behind.

:sniper:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the input guys. stoney :usa: :beer: :sniper:

·
Registered
203 Posts
To Sniper: I don't use any steel cased lacquered ammo in my mini14. Thre russian, israel bullets are bought in bulk as projectiles and handloaded. The russian bullets are made by Barnaul weight 62gr FMJ lead core, w/ thin steel jacket covered by a thick copper jacket. The Israel bullets are 62gr SS109 bullets. I use both of them as they are reasonable cheap to reload. If I really want accurate bullets Hornady 60gr Spire HP's are the Crow busters. If I ever do have to use lacquer coated ammo I clean it with lacquer thinner first the the usual cleaning. Hope this answeres your question!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I like imr 4198 20.5 grains followed with a 55 grain V-Max for my mini's.
For my bolt action Remington 788 in 223 I like IMR 3031 followed by a 60 grain Hornady spire point

both these are great for me, consult your load manuals or mfr. suggetions before trying anything other than factory loads.:usa:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Stoney,Try 35gr.4064 behinde a 60grainer. Velocity=3550,Col2.350. This load works in my 22-250 Rem. I was guessing you were useing a 250? Ron :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts