Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I remeber a discussion about installing a flash hider or muzzel brake to your mini to improve the accuracy was it a brake or a flash hider? :ar15: :(

·
Registered
224 Posts
What exactly is the difference between a flash hider and a muzzle break?

I understand the difference between the two concepts, but isn't a muzzle break going to reduce flash?

What is the real world difference? Has anybody shot a muzzle break at night? I'm wondering if the two are dramaticly different or if it's just a matter of splitting hairs to be able to accessorize without creating an "evil" gun.

·
Registered
716 Posts
A muzzle BRAKE [not 'break'] redirects the expanding muzzle gases so as to compensate for barrel lift and sometime torque, keeping the muzzle pointed in the same direction as before you squeezed the trigger. The exit hole for the bullet out of the brake is supposed to be very close to the caliber of the bullet. (Its functioning is like that of an automobile brake in stopping the muzzle from moving - thus the name BRAKE)

A flash suppressor, on the other hand, is a device which adds turbulence to the expanding muzzle gases to allow a more complete combustion of the gunpowder, thus reducing flash. As one website puts it: "Four specially angled flutes dissipate the gas but contain the unburned powder allowing increased residual burn for less visible flash."

The exit hole for the bullet from a flash suppressor is often many times the caliber of the bullet.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts