Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am getting 10/22 TARGET, shooting for accuracy only at 50 and 200 yds, bench rest with Harris bipod. Extremely concerned about trigger pull.

Curious about the pounds required on the stock 10/22 trigger ..?

Will want to replace trigger with match grade trigger. Am interested in any ideas/experience with this as I believe the trigger is one of the most important pieces of hardware in regard to accuracy. If you have a suggestion do you know the required trigger pull in pounds.

Are there any two stage triggers for the 10/22?

Thanks in advance,
Wizzard

·
Redleg
260 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
The VQ and the Kidd triggers are wonderful triggers. However, if you can disassemble/assemble the 10-22 trigger group, you can have the same pull for about $75.00.

Deluxe Hammer and Adjustable Sear Kit

On the factory guns, the trigger has pretravel, then the gritty creep before the shot breaks. And about 6#s of pull. You can adjust the creep and pretravel out of the kit at the range.
There needs to be one hole drilled in the bottom of the receiver to allow use of the allen wrench, if necessary. Very easy.

I used the adjustable sear and did the factory hammer. 2#s, barely perceptible pretravel (some required for sear/disconnector reset) and no creep.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Put a Timney in mine plus the titanium firing pin. It was pretty pricey, about $175 then and now they are around 210 but the difference in quality was night and day.

Funny thing I also have a 10/22 carbine and the stock trigger is fine. Not Timney fine but way better than my other 22 rifles including my beloved Marlin 60.

·
Registered
147 Posts
200 yds, with subsonic .22lr ammo, eh? :) it better be one WINDLESS day. About 20 ft of bullet drop, from a normal .22lr zero, 50 yds, too, I'd think? What's the point in such things? The .22lr is going to have about 40 ft lbs of "power" left at 200 yds, barely enough for a clean kill on a chipmunk or starling, and then only with a chest hit.

·
Registered
344 Posts
200 yds, with subsonic .22lr ammo, eh? :) it better be one WINDLESS day. About 20 ft of bullet drop, from a normal .22lr zero, 50 yds, too, I'd think? What's the point in such things? The .22lr is going to have about 40 ft lbs of "power" left at 200 yds, barely enough for a clean kill on a chipmunk or starling, and then only with a chest hit.
Hey pseudo expert, you are dribbling again. The OP is about triggers not the killing power of a 22 bullet. If you don't know anything about trigger assemblies why are you cluttering the post with trivia nobody cares about?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm asking what;s the point of TRYING to dribble along with a .22lr at 200 yds, ferchrissakes. that;s a very legit question.
Many folks enjoy long range .22 shootin' from a target aspect. Its rather a lot of fun really - you ought to give it a try.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Seems the OP was inquiring about triggers not accuracy.:rolleyes: Don't see where there was mention of the use to be for hunting so no necessity for any energy requirement. Not sure where that need came from. :huh: Now as for the distances the OP is interested in, it is indeed possible with the right set-up, the right ammo and the right conditions.
Of course it's not just the trigger that's key to these ranges. It's all gotta work together, the barrel, the trigger, the action, the ammo, the shooter, the optics...everything.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have owned a lot of different 10/22 triggers over the years - Hornet, Volquartsen, Rimfire Technologies to name a few that I can immediately recall. In my view the Kidd is the best. No contest.

·
Registered
74 Posts
10 22 trigger pull

I put a Power Custom competition sear mixed with a Volquartsen target hammer in my trigger group. That along with polishing the trigger return pin, I now have a very consistent one and a half pound trigger pull. I also installed my own overtravel screw in the trigger (older metal trigger), and I am very happy with this combo. I know both manufacturers these aftermarket parts say not to mix and match, but you don't know until you try. This worked well for me and alot cheaper than a complete trigger group.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm asking what;s the point of TRYING to dribble along with a .22lr at 200 yds, ferchrissakes. that;s a very legit question.
When I was MUCH younger and dumber I was probably AT LEAST 200 yds away, more like three hundred from my car. No exaggeration. Me and some friends were out shooting up in the mountains.

I had a Remington .22 single shot at the time I had had since I was 9. Being stupid and young I thought I'd see if I could hit my hubcap from there. I thought what most people think. It's a .22. I'll never hit it and if I do being a .22 it won't even barely dent the hubcap or hurt the car. Besides, I worked at a body shop at the time and could easily fix whatever happened. But I still didn't even think I would come close. Yes, open sights.

I didn't hit the hubcap but I did hit the side wall which took out my tire. When we walked up on it and saw what happened all a friend of mine asked was, "You "do" have a spare. Don't you?" I did. We were 100 miles from home and at least 50 from any civilization.

Nope, I don't know the range for sure but it was a looooong ways off for a .22. The front sight covered up the entire wheel and part of the front end. I put in a lot of holdover. There is no way I could make a shot like that now. Back then I was 35 years younger and I used to put 500rounds through that single shot every weekend. Sometimes 1500 and I grew up with that rifle.

There is a reason they write on the side of a box of .22's that they are dangerous up to a mile. Yep, 40ft.lbs. may not seem like much but if it's enough to take out a tire I sure wouldn't want to get shot with one.

As for trigger pull. I had one of the first 10-22T's they made. I bought one the first year they made them years ago. I never even noticed anything bad about the trigger pull. It seemed fine to me. With a 10X scope I could get 10 shots inside a 1/2 inch at 50yds. With regularity. From a rest. So, they are accurate. There's no way I could do that off hand.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I might point out that our special forces have been using Ruger 10-22's over in Iraq for numerous uses including crowd control and sniping. A .22 is far more deadly than many realize. Even out at distances that we would never think of.

I remember reading an article by one of the more prolific gun writers maybe 10 years ago. He put a Shepherd scope on a 10-22 which had a reticle specifically made for the .22 ballisitics.

He was hitting jackrabbits at 200 yds with it and rolling them.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Listen to this guy!

Brimstone Gunsmithing is of excellent repute and offers three levels of trigger work-ups for the 10/22 rifles to fit various needs/budgets. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

BrimstoneGunsmithing - Ruger 10/22
He knows what hundreds of our customers know, our tier one option for $110.00 removes all pre and over travel. We can get those down to two pounds of the cleanest break you will ever feel. Check out the other options on the web site and read what our customers say.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Brimstone Gunsmithing is of excellent repute and offers three levels of trigger work-ups for the 10/22 rifles to fit various needs/budgets. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

BrimstoneGunsmithing - Ruger 10/22
I agree with Holmes. I sent my 10/22 trigger off for a Tier 3 (basic trigger work, $45 including shipping) and got back a creep-free 2.0 lb trigger. It's a helluva lot better than the 6ish lbs of sand the factory sent it with.

Planning a Tier 1 for my next build...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.