Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this mag since some time in the '90's, and it was originally a light grey color. Almost looked parkerized, maybe. Unfortunately, a couple of years back, I moved, and stored it in what I _thought_ was a water-tight container. Obviously, it wasn't. Fortunately though, the rust seems to be just on the surface, so I'm gonna refinish it, and I'm thinking it'll be okay. Anyway, I got the mag second hand, and I've never known who the manufaturer was. The mag catch is the type that's spot welded on, and it has one hole in the upper portion of each side, as you can see from the picture. The part that's really different about this mag compared to the PMI/Precision ones (aside from the lack of the 2 lower holes that pmi had) and the Promag ones, etc, is the floor plate though. Take a look at the picture. It goes up in the bottom of the mag body, and has four little buttons supported by two springs. As the floor plate is inserted into the body, you compress the buttons against the springs, then when the buttons line up with the 4 small holes in the lower portion of the mag body, the springs make them snap into place, holding the floor plate in position. It works fine, but seems way overly complicated, and I've never seen another mini14 mag like it. The follower is an anti-tip type, and the mag functions okay.

Does anyone have any idea who made this mag?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Could it be one of those pinned mags sold with the AC-556? Ruger themselves modded their own 30-rd mags, cutting them down (I think to 20) and installing a pinned plastic floor plate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It makes me sick to know I let a factory AC-556 mag get rusted up like that. :( I'm re-finishing it right now though. None of the rust was deep at all. Should look okay when I'm done.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. It makes me sick to know I let a factory AC-556 mag get rusted up like that. :( I'm re-finishing it right now though. None of the rust was deep at all. Should look okay when I'm done.

Thanks again!!
Looks savable. Good luck. There's one on Gunbroker right now starting at $85 (with no bids yet).

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I bought one of these for $20 a couple of months ago, at a gun show. He didn't know what he had until I told him.

Steve
Score.

I can just imagine the look on his face when he found out his asking price was around $100 shy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I tried to get it cheaper, but he said he was giving it to me for $20 because he didn't know what it was until I told him. I probably could've got it cheaper if I hadn't old him what it was. If I didn't take it, he was going to ask $25. Still a deal.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.