Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a deposit on a mini 14 ranch. I got the fever and the doc said this was the only cure. I have been a bolt fan and still am, but a couple of months ago I got a Ruger 22/45, and I caught the semi auto fever. Too, many times over this past fall and winter when trapping hogs momma was in the trap and the good pit pigs were running around like rabbits outside the trap. A bolt gun it just too slow, but this fall they better look out . Pork chops anyone? Nothing like a 35-40 pound pig slow cooked whole on the pit. Shut up! My stomach is growling.

My question is, what can I expect from this gun out of the box. It is a Stainless and Synthetic model. What is the best and worst you guys have seen before any toys were added.:p
Later
:usa:

·
Registered
685 Posts
hey duck, what to expect? 3-4" inch groups and reliablity. have fun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
My question is, what can I expect from this gun out of the box. It is a Stainless and Synthetic model. What is the best and worst you guys have seen before any toys were added.:p
Later
:usa:
I would expect some smoked hogs.:D

4" groups. I would add a muzzle brake. John Masen/Black Warrior slip on. Easy to install. Knock the roll pin out with a punch and hammer, slip on and put longer pin in (included with brake). In my opinion, for hog hunting, get you a butler creek pistol grip pinned folding stock. Good quality aftermarket stock. Check out cheaperthandirt.com for all sorts of toys.
Get dem barrels hot!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any reason you didn't go with a mini-30.
I've alway thought it would make a good short range pig gun. Those 30 cal bullets got more thump than those puny 223s:cannon:
Although for piglets....
What part of the country you whackin them pigs anyway? :beer:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main reasons I went with the 14 are the price and availability of magazines, and I just always wanted a .223. I will mainly be shooting at pigs less than 100 pounds, at fairly close range, so I don't think I'll have a problem. We try not to shoot the real big hogs, because we want them in the trap. There is a man about 20 miles from our lease that buys them live and then exports the meat over seas. They pay best for big boars. For some reason those folks like the stronger taste of the boars. The price we get varies from a low of 25 cents to a high of 40 cents per pound. If you bring in a boar over 250 you get a 20 dollar bonus. Helps pay the electricity on the lease.
Check this out, and you will see that a small gun will kill a big hog. Me and a friend were at the leases a couple of months back to try and call varmits. We set up and started calling about an hour before dark. It wasn't 20 minutes later I saw something moving in the brush about 30 yard away. Out pops the biggest hog I have seen to date on the place. Here I am sitting on the ground with my .243 loaded with my 65 grain V-Max hand loads. I was expecting to shoot a coyote not a big hog. It was looking right at me so I put the X between its eyes, but before I could squeeze off the shot it turned and started to trot broadside. I thought owell and let one go behind the shoulder. This thing bolted, ran 20 yards(away from us thank God)stood up on his hind leg, squeeled and fel over dead as a hammer. I couldn't believe it. Walked up to it and it was a big ol boar. Three of us could barly load it and it pegged a 250 lb. scale back at camp. Sure wish we could have got him it a trap. We skinned him and I gave him to a farmer friend, and one of his work hands made tamales. They were pretty good I must admitt.
Later
:p

BTW I am from SE Texas, and we hunt the pigs in the Victoria area.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Very Cool!:cool:
Head shots definitly will put 'em down with a small caliber.
I hunt pigs alot in Central Calif, mostly in a "sporting" situations so I go for heart/lungs if/when I have the opportunity and all I can carry is a 5 round mag.
But a mini-30 just aint in the budget. :(

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
We are almost neighbors, except I'm about 200 miles south of you, Lake Charles. Maby we could work out a trade some hog for some crawfish? We used to shoot the hogs with 22 LR head shots. My mini Shot 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" out of the box. I spent about $100 on this and that not counting a stock, and scope. Now groups 1 1/2" with same factory ammo, and recoil is about 75% less. Am working on reloads to reduce groups further.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey cajungeo,
Sorry to butt in to the post but,

Just out of curiosity, what did you do to reduce recoil by 75%? I've got a muzzle brake and it seems to reduce recoil somewhat. Did you notice the muzzle brake making the gun louder or is it me? I thought it made it louder but when I compared it to my other mini without brake, I couldn't tell?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Texas has some good pig shooting & some of the big ones are in the Aransass Pass area. The only thing is, if I were to be pig shooting with a Mini you can bet my 44 Mag would be there too. A pig is a tough critter with a bad attitude. A friend of mine in Conroe Texas has a mounted head of a Russian Boar he took & the tusks on that thing could easilly gut a man. He took it with a bow while deer hunting in Aransass. The boar took the arrow & chased my friend leaving a heavy blood trail, it didn't stop until it had bled out. My friend had nocked another arrow & was himself about out of gas when the boar dropped dead.

Good hunting
Bushwack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Duck Stuffer -

I hunt a lease south of San Antonio that is loaded with hogs. We favor 100-150lb dry sows (no orphan piglets that way) and try to tip them over with a shot in the ear or jaw joint. We've found it best to dump them right away or risk them running and loading up the meat with all sorts of hormones/adrenalin etc......One of the guys heart-lung shot a big boar with a .300 Weatherby, the pig ran 200 yards before going down, and he was RANCID! None of the head shot pigs have tasted bad. Good luck, have fun - get as close as possible if you're gonna head shoot 'em with the Mini, but you're right - it will do the job. (I'd use FMJ for head shots with .223 - penetration is the name of the game). I'm gonna try my Ranch Rifle for some Sabine River bottom oinkers here at home in a month or so.

Stu

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Mike, besides the muzzle brake, I installed a much smaller gas bushing, and a shok-buff. Also my new Hogue stock has a nice rubber recoil pad which helps reduce "felt recoil". The smaller gas bushing is the largest improvement. My brass used to go 60 feet ( I measured it), and my scope came loose every 10 shots. Now my brass goes a nice 10 feet, and my scope stayes nice and tight (yes I locktited it).
Yes the muzzle brake makes it seem louder, because some of the gass (and sound) is vented upward infront of your ears instead of away from you (my compensated Taurus pistol seems louder as well). I shoot in a covered range so the sound bounces off the tin roof making it seem louder, but my peltor (mickey mouse ears) dampens it nicely. Overall the recoil feels only a little greater than my 10/22

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks cajungeo,
I have heard of people throwing brass long distances. I guess I have been fortunate with my mini. I throw brass 10-15 feet from the factory. Does the smaller gas block have any accuracy benifits?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Not directly, it only lessons recoil, so you get a faster 2nd shot, and it causes LESS scope related problems. My scope would come loose in 10 shots, before so groups would really be scattered. It also depends on the ammo you shoot. Some is loaded hotter than others.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jump off the airboat on the big ones that the dogs won't get and tie up the legs and Duct tape the snouts... Now you're hog huntin!!! If you can't grab the legs and tape him, sit on his back and cut his throat!!! You'll have a heckuva story to tell when you get back to camp!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts