Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a New Ruger Mini 30 TAC which has the Flash Suppressor. (Catalog Number: M-30/20GBCPC, Model Number: 5854). I understand a Torx T60 will remove it. I do not have one and do not wish to purchase one. There are two flats for a wrench. I tried to heat it up a bit and tried to remove with the wrench and it will not move. A 10mm Allan wrench will also fit inside the flash suppressor. I tried that with a piece of copper pipe on it (about 1 foot long) to get more leverage and it will not move. Any other suggestions. I have layed the rifle on a rug on the ground. I have another person holding the rifle in place while I try to remove. I want to replace it with a thread protector. Looking forward to hear from you all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a New Ruger Mini 30 TAC which has the Flash Suppressor. (Catalog Number: M-30/20GBCPC, Model Number: 5854). I understand a Torx T60 will remove it. I do not have one and do not wish to purchase one. There are two flats for a wrench. I tried to heat it up a bit and tried to remove with the wrench and it will not move. A 10mm Allan wrench will also fit inside the flash suppressor. I tried that with a piece of copper pipe on it (about 1 foot long) to get more leverage and it will not move. Any other suggestions. I have layed the rifle on a rug on the ground. I have another person holding the rifle in place while I try to remove. I want to replace it with a thread protector. Looking forward to hear from you all.
You'll have to heat it up and twist it off. Loctite was applied by Ruger I'm pretty sure. I've heard of people having to do that to the 181 Series GB Models.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You might try soaking if for a couple nights in some penetrating oil/grease.

It sounds like its really stuck on there if it still wont budge with a breaker bar.

Sorry to hear that man. Do not yeild! :lol: They always come off in the end

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All, thanks for your help. Pet-Rock, thanks for the penetrating oil idea and your words of encouragement to continue. Not sure if it was that along with more heat and presistance, but it worked. Boy, that was on very tight. For folks interested in the future. Equipment needed: 10mm Allan wrench, leather gloves, strap wrench, 1.5 ft pipe to get better leverage, penetrating oil, torch and two persons (one to hold the strap wrench and the gun down and another to use the Allen wrench. Now another question. I did not realize that the washer was different on both sides. Which was should the washer go back on? Looking forward to hear from you all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It should just be a star washer and it doesn't care which way it goes in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thefixer, there is no star washer used and yes the washer that is used by Ruger with the Flash Suppressor is different on each side, so I would think you need to take care in which way it goes in. I would love to hear from folks who have one that they have removed. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
The mini 30 tac must be totally different than the mini 14 tac. I took flash suppressors off two different 14's, one a 580 and one a 581 and both had star washers-the same on both sides. Replaced F/S with SEI Good Iron muzzle brakes. Can you post a pic of the washer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
washer

I talked to Ruger C/S this morning and they said it is a standard crush washer(star washer) and it will go in either way, there is no in and out. If you have something different, it may be something that someone else put in. Send me a picture. Hope this helps you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts